Traditional ice cream vans may soon be extinctJuly 27th, 2008 - 10:41 am ICT by ANI
London, July 27 (ANI): The humble ice cream vans may soon become a thing of the past, courtesy the credit crunch.
Their jingling tunes, a sound that epitomises summer, are in danger of being silenced by the rising price of fuel and key ingredients.
Van owners have been struggling to cope as the price of powdered milk, used to make ice cream, rocketed by nearly 70percent last year.
Despite a brief respite earlier this year, the cost is now rising sharply again. Wheat flour is also going up adding to the cost of cones.
Overheads such as diesel and council permits also add to the pressures that could spell the end of a British institution.
Mark Hunsdon, who runs Lucky Clover Leaf Ice Cream with his brother Scott in Reading, Berks, said: If things dont improve in the next five years I think we will become a thing of the past.
We thought last year was bad with the appalling weather but things just keep getting worse. It is a disaster. We have been forced to put prices up to cope with the rising costs of powdered milk, wheat and fuel, The Daily Star quoted him, as saying.
The price of a 99 cone has risen from 70p to 80p in a bid to cope with rising costs. (ANI)
- Government is heartless, insensitive: BJP - Jul 11, 2012
- Opposition heat on Chidambaram over ice cream remark (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Today is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram says he did not mock middle class on price rise - Jul 11, 2012
- Will pricey cakes eat into Christmas festivities? - Dec 23, 2011
- Food inflation comes down sharply (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Scottish chef creates Venison ice cream - Oct 04, 2011
- Feasting on Holi delicacies (Recipes) - Mar 06, 2012
- Coriander-fortified bread is long-lasting and nutritious: Kolkata research - Jul 19, 2012
- UAE to make camel milk ice-cream - Mar 19, 2012
- Pakistanis hungry as steep hike in food prices - Sep 12, 2011
- Decision on milk prices taken by state federations: Pawar - Mar 22, 2010
- India food inflation edging close to double-digit - Aug 11, 2011
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Free chapatis of fortified wheat flour at Pushkar Fair - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: british institution, brother scott, clover leaf, cones, credit crunch, daily star, diesel, disaster, london, lucky clover, next five years, powdered milk, respite, traditional ice, tunes, vans, weather, wheat flour