Tourists to view Taj Mahal in environment-friendly golf cartsJune 7th, 2009 - 12:55 pm ICT by ANI
Agra, June 7 (ANI): Tourists flocking to Taj Mahal can now enjoy their sightseeing in eco-friendly golf carts imported from China.
The golf carts have been pressed into service by the Agra Development Authority (ADA) after the Supreme Court prohibited pollution-causing vehicles near the eternal symbol of love, fearing damage to its structure.
“Under the instructions of Supreme Court which prohibits pollution causing vehicles from coming near five hundred meters of Taj Mahal we have introduced these battery-operated vehicles so that the both the domestic and the international tourists can enjoy seeing the Taj while sitting in these vehicles,” said S.K.Sharma, Commissioner, ADA.
Annie Will, a tourist from Hong Kong, said, “I have heard that it’s better than before because earlier there was no air-conditioning but now at least its open and the cart uses no gas so its better for the environment also.” The golf cart, after being fully charged, can travel 60 kilometres with 15 people on board.
Twelve golf carts are plying from the eastern and the western gates of Taj Mahal towards the main structure and the ticket costs 10 rupees. (ANI)
- On World Tourism Day, Agra looks to air connectivity - Sep 27, 2011
- Taj battles man and nature for survival - May 16, 2011
- Agra despairs over Western advisory - Oct 26, 2011
- Agra begins to breathe easy, but clouds linger - Jun 13, 2011
- Now showbiz trains arc lights on Agra - Feb 05, 2012
- Heat hits tourism in Agra (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- Agra finally gets rains - Jul 26, 2012
- Rescue the dying Yamuna to save the Taj, appeal activists - Mar 25, 2012
- Heritage week on, but it doesn't show in Taj city - Nov 22, 2010
- Special sight-seeing buses in Agra during CWG - Jul 04, 2010
- Sunny morning brings relief to Agra - Jan 23, 2012
- Yet again, no doctor on call at Taj! - May 20, 2010
- Agra battles stray dogs - Jan 22, 2012
- Another Taj project runs into trouble (Lead) - Aug 02, 2009
- From wasteland, Taj Corridor to become Agra's green lung (With image) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: ada, air conditioning, annie, battery operated vehicles, china, gates, golf cart, golf carts, hong kong, international tourists, kilometres, love, pollution, rupees, s k sharma, sightseeing, supreme court, taj mahal