Tourists practice yoga in ManaliNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:17 am ICT by admin
Vashisht, three kilometres from Manali, is home to hundreds of foreign tourists who want to learn meditation being conducted at an ongoing seasonal Yoga camp in nature’s lap.
Tourists hailing from Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia and other countries are attending the Yoga and meditation centres. Most of them believe that learning yoga exercises and practicing other techniques would enable them to develop a much healthier body and peace of mind.
The jam-packed classes demonstrate the enthusiasm of the tourists for the Yoga sessions.
“I think Yoga is very good for my body and my mind. May be more for my mind that my body, but usually both. I heard about this while I was sitting in a cafeteria. I went upto that student and she told me about this place,” said Abbey from United States of America.
While many foreigners attend the short- term classes during their visiting to Himachal 0Pradesh, there are many who have adapted Yoga as a lifestyle.
“It’s something very good. My body, feels more flexible, my mind is more quiet and calm.” said Kashna, practitioner from Poland.
Yoga is an ancient science that prescribes synchronisation of psycho-physical faculties for good health and holistic lifestyle.
According to the senior Yoga teacher Swami Yogananda the foreign tourists are more interested in learning yoga exercises and a guided meditation, while domestic tourists are keen to avail Yoga-based therapies and Ayurvedic or herbal medicines.
“I follow the traditional way of Yoga and my motive is that the traditional way of Yoga should be practised and spread,” said Swami Yogananda, senior Yoga teacher.
The visitors believe discipline is important to practice yoga in life. They feel very relaxed and comfortable after practicing yoga. They also believe yoga could help them to deal with stress in the present-day busy lifestyle.
Over the years, the centuries-old Indian practice of Yoga that literally means the union of body and mind has become hugely popular in the West and is even patronised by many Hollywood celebrities.
Yoga conferences are common in the Western countries. In the United States alone, the Indian health and spiritual trend now has more than 16 million followers. (ANI)
- Where Westerners teach yoga and meditation - to Indians - Sep 18, 2011
- Spirituality can never be uprooted from India: American guru - Jan 01, 2012
- Yoga has "avatars" in America - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Essence of yoga lies in sincerity, not commercialisation' (With Image) - May 11, 2012
- Many Christian churches in USA offer yoga - Nov 28, 2010
- Foreigners flock to Haridwar for love of Hinduism - Nov 02, 2011
- Sahaja Yoga confers good health, busts stress: Australian study - Jun 12, 2012
- US research suggests "yoga might improve mood" - Nov 07, 2010
- Yogananda was India's greatest gift to West: Kriyananda - Oct 13, 2011
- A great read on a great saint (IANS Book Review) - Oct 09, 2011
- Hindi version of 'Man's Eternal Quest' released - Oct 24, 2010
- At six, she is yoga trainer to grownups - Nov 01, 2010
- Is Qigong the new kid on the fitness block? - Feb 08, 2011
- Hindus welcome Catholics to yoga - Feb 26, 2010
- There is "Jewish Yoga" in America - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: ancient science, domestic tourists, guided meditation, healthier body, herbal medicines, himachal pradesh, himalayas, holistic lifestyle, manali, meditation centres, onset of winter, physical faculties, poland, practice yoga, swami, yoga camp, yoga exercises, yoga sessions, yoga teacher, yogananda