Tourism minister presents awards for excellence in hospitality educationMarch 24th, 2011 - 9:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar.24 (ANI): Union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai on Thursday presented awards excellence in hospitality education.
Participating in a function, Sahai said there was need to bridge the skilled manpower gap in the hospitality sector, and added that the Tourism Ministry is taking steps in this direction thorough its “Hunar Se Rozgar” programme.
So far, the skilled manpower force in the hospitality sector through this scheme would go up from 6000 to 10,000 in the coming year.
“Our endeavor would be to take this initiative to remote and economically backward regions of the country so that educated youth of these regions get employment opportunities in this expanding sector,” Sahai said.
He added that plans were afoot to expand the scheme in terms of the number of beneficiaries and the courses being offered.
Sahai said that the hospitality industry needs about two lakh trained persons every year, but supply is just about 27000 persons, which gets further reduced by one-third due to attrition.
He said the Central Government has been actively trying to bridge the skilled manpower shortage by setting up more government sponsored institutes of hotel management and food craft institutes and augmenting the capacity of existing ones.
The minister said the efforts and resources for creating world class hospitality service will have to come from within the industry.
He said that the industry will be expected to evolve and stabilize traditions and conventions of excellence and quality in service and create facilitative institutions and systems. (ANI)
- 100,000 skilled workers to join tourism sector - Jul 05, 2012
- Tourism sector to create 2.5 crore more jobs - Apr 04, 2012
- Tourism ministry steps up promotion campaign (With Image) - Dec 14, 2011
- Tourism Minister calls for enhanced focus on rural tourism - Mar 28, 2011
- India, Mauritius to strengthen travel trade - Jul 13, 2012
- India targets one percent global tourist arrivals - Jul 05, 2012
- Tourism ministry to impart driving skills - Sep 14, 2011
- Focus on tourism's job opportunities, says minister - Mar 18, 2011
- Need for Kerala to reform higher education: Experts - Sep 14, 2012
- Nine states to discuss tourism promotion - Apr 20, 2011
- Southern states' tourism ministers meet in Kerala - Aug 19, 2011
- Tourism Ministers conference to kick off in Rishikesh tomorrow - Apr 20, 2011
- Foreign tourist flow to touch 8 mn by 2015 - Mar 11, 2011
- Take all steps for tourists' security against crime, says Kumari Selja - Mar 06, 2010
- Subodh Kant Sahai calls for more thrust on domestic tourism - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: attrition, beneficiaries, central government, educated youth, gap, hospitality education, hospitality industry, hospitality sector, hospitality service, hotel management, lakh, manpower shortage, New Delhi, sahai, skilled manpower, subodh, taking steps, tourism minister, tourism ministry, world class hospitality