Top LeT commander killed in Jammu and KashmirMay 9th, 2009 - 9:42 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, May 9 (ANI): At least three militants have been killed in two separate incidents in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday.
In Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district, a top Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) commander and his local militant associate have been killed in a fierce gun-battle with security forces early on Saturday.
LeT’s self-styled divisional commander Abu Sumama, resident of Pakistan, and his local aide Barkat Ali alias Yasir were killed by the counter-insurgency forces in Dhar Dashnan hills near Doda town early this morning.
A combing and search operation was launched by security forces in the area following specific information about the presence of militants, an official spokesman said.
‘Contact with the militants, who were holed up in an isolated dhoke (cattle shed), was established at about 0100 hrs,’ he added.
One AK rifle and a pistol were recovered from the site of operation.
Encounter of Sumama, who was active in the area for the past four to five years, is said to be a big blow to the LeT in Doda.
According to the spokesman, one army jawan also sustained wounds in the gun-battle.
In Ganderbal district, a militant has been killed in an encounter with security forces on Saturday, army sources said.
On Saturday morning security forces sealed Kangan area that is 40 kilometers from Srinagar.
As the troops zeroed in at a particular house, where the militants were hiding, the ultras opened fire at the forces and in the ensuing gunbattle a militant was killed.
The operation was still in progress when reports last came in, the sources said. (ANI)
- Lashkar 'divisional commander', aide killed in J-K - May 09, 2009
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Wanted LeT militant killed in J-K encounter - Mar 28, 2011
- LeT wiped out from three Jammu districts: Police - Aug 04, 2011
- LeT terrorist killed in Kashmir, commander escapes - May 25, 2011
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- Two Pakistani militants, special officer killed in Kashmir (Second Lead) - May 19, 2010
- One militant killed in encounter in Kishtwar - Nov 20, 2010
- Top Lashkar commander killed in Kashmir - Aug 03, 2012
- Two Hizbul militants killed in Jammu - Apr 24, 2010
- Two top militants killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir - Apr 24, 2011
- Two militants killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
- Militant in Sopore sisters' murder gunned down - Mar 13, 2011
- Security forces kill top Hizbul Mujahideen commander in Doda - Mar 08, 2010
- Top LeT militant, aide killed in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 09, 2009
Tags: alias, army sources, cattle, counter insurgency, divisional commander, doda district, encounter, gun battle, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kilometers, militants, pistol, saturday morning, search operation, security forces, spokesman, srinagar, ultras, yasir