Top cop who tortured Zardari in prison set for formal indictmentNovember 19th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Nov 19 (ANI): Najaf Mirza, a senior police officer, who is accused of attempting to kill Asif Ali Zardari in lock up a few years back, would be formally indicted in the case on November 28 before Additional District and Sessions Judge South Khawaja Nizaar.
Earlier, the trial court had supplied copies of the case papers and documents to the accused under section 265-C of Cr PC.
Mirza was admitted to interim pre-arrest bail for one day on Monday and on Tuesday, this was extended till November 28, when he would be formally indicted, reported the Daily Times.
Besides Mirza, the co-accused include Senator Saifur Rahman, his brother Mujeebur Rahman, former Sindh IG Rana Maqbool Ahmed, former Karachi DIG Farooq Amin Qureshi and Najaf Mirza, the then superintendent of Karachi Central Prison.
According to the paper, Zardari had filed a case against the above for attempting to kill him at the CID Civil Lines Police Station, where he was brought from Central Prison Karachi for interrogation in the double murder case of Justice (Retd) Nizam Ahmed and his only son, Advocate Nadeem Ahmed, who were allegedly gunned down by unidentified assailants over a plot dispute.
Zardari was later found injured with his tongue lacerated.
The investigators and police officials alleged that Zardari inflicted injury to himself with a water glass to evade interrogation. The victim was booked on charges of attempted suicide but was exonerated after a judicial inquiry carried out by the DJ Malir Salman Ansari. (ANI)
- Enough proof against Lajpat Nagar blast accused: Police (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for three - Sep 21, 2011
- Lajpat Nagar blast: High court reserves order on pleas - Oct 12, 2011
- When two Pakistani ministers quarrelled - Aug 23, 2011
- JKCA internal probe clears Abdullah of hand in scam - Jul 18, 2012
- Six convicted for role in 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast - Apr 08, 2010
- Zardari pulls up Sindh minister - Aug 24, 2011
- Six convicted, four acquitted in Lajpat Nagar bomb blast case (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan releases 26 Indian fishermen - Apr 12, 2012
- Gilani indicted for contempt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- 14 Indians released from Karachi jail - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan frees 89 Indian prisoners - Apr 14, 2011
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- First for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: asif ali, case papers, central prison, double murder case, farooq, indictment, inflicted injury, interrogation, judicial inquiry, khawaja, malir, nadeem ahmed, najaf, nizam, police officials, qureshi, rana, sindh, unidentified assailants, water glass