Top Chinese and Taiwanese envoys hold historic talks in TaipeiNovember 4th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Taipei (Taiwan), Nov.4 (ANI): The heads of the two main negotiating bodies of the Chinese mainland and Taiwan sat down together in Taipei on Tuesday morning for their first ever summit in Taiwan.
Chen Yunlin, president of the mainland’’s Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, and his island counterpart Chiang Pin-kung, chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation, met at the Grand Hotel in Taipei.
According to Xinhua and the China Daily, Chen thanked his Taiwan compatriots for their understanding and support for the meeting, which he said was a milestone for the positive development of the cross-strait relationship.
Chen said that once progress had been made on direct flights, shipping and postal services between the mainland and Taiwan, the ARATS and SEF would discuss financial cooperation and the normalization of economic ties.
In June, the ARATS and the SEF held talks in Beijing and signed two agreements, almost 10 years after the suspension of talks. (ANI)
- China, Taiwan to discuss cross-Straits relations - Apr 15, 2009
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- China, Taiwan sign accords to boost direct travel, trade (Lead) - Nov 04, 2008
- Cross-Straits flights to be regularized - Apr 27, 2009
- China-Taiwan set to sign landmark trade deal - Jun 25, 2010
- Taiwan's top negotiator heads to China for historic talks - Jun 11, 2008
- China begins landmark talks with Taiwan - Jun 12, 2008
- China, Taiwan sign landmark economic pact - Jun 29, 2010
- China, Taiwan to expand charter flights and tourism - Jun 13, 2008
- China, Taiwan talks to resume soon - May 29, 2008
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- China, Taiwan agree to start regular flights - Jun 13, 2008
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010
- Taiwan, China to sign four pacts on expanding ties - Nov 04, 2008
- China offers to open talks on military issues with Taiwan - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: arats, beijing, china daily, chinese mainland, counterpart, direct flights, economic ties, exchange foundation, financial cooperation, grand hotel, hotel in taipei, milestone, normalization, postal services, taipei taiwan, taiwan chen, taiwan compatriots, taiwan straits, tuesday morning, xinhua