Top Al Badr militant killed in Kashmir gunfightJanuary 28th, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 28 (IANS) Two militants, including a top commander of the Al-Badr terror outfit, have been killed in separate gun battles in north Kashmir, a police officer said Wednesday.A notorious guerrilla of the Al-Badr outfit identified as Abu Hamza and an army trooper were killed during a fierce gunfight in Amargrah village near Sopore town, over 50 km from here, that started late Tuesday, the official told IANS.
Troops of Rashtriya Rifles and police surrounded a house in the village on specific information about the presence of militants holed up inside.
“A militant commander fired at the security forces from inside the house and the fire was returned. In the gun battle, the holed-up militant was killed. One house was damaged,” he said.
The officer said that Hamza, who was earlier associated with the Lashkar-e-Taiba, had been the operational commander of the Al-Badr outfit.
Officials here discounted media reports that Hamza was involved in the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai.
Meanwhile one militant was killed in a separate gun battle in Baki Haker village in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district.
“The operation is still in progress,” said the officer. Two houses were damaged during the gunfight, he added.
Security forces had surrounded a house Monday afternoon in Baki Haker on a tip-off about militants present inside.
- Five LeT men, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight (Third Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Top Lashkar commander killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Top Al Badr commander, 3 guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- Two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Security forces battle guerrillas in Kashmir - Feb 18, 2010
- Two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 27, 2011
- Hizbul guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed, army major injured in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Three LeT militants killed in Kashmir gunbattle (Lead changing dateline) - Jun 03, 2011
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- Gunfight breaks out in north Kashmir - Jun 17, 2010
- Two security men injured in Kashmir gunbattle - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: abu hamza, army, guerrilla, gun battle, gun battles, gunfight, haker, jan 28, kashmir, lashkar e taiba, militants, monday afternoon, mumbai, north kashmir, operational commander, police officer, presence, rashtriya rifles, security forces, terror attacks