Tomato prices decline in RajasthanDecember 22nd, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by ANI
Jaipur, Dec 22 (ANI): Tomato growers and traders in Rajasthan feel the heat of the plummeting prices of the perishable commodity following suspension of exports to Pakistan as the border has been sealed in the wake of Mumbai terror attacks.
Tomato crop, which was earlier, exported to Pakistan via Wagah boarder is now landing in the local markets leading to overflow of tomato. As a result, the tomato business is incurring huge losses.
“Before the Mumbai terror attacks, a large quantity of tomatoes was exported to Pakistan. Now that the border is sealed, export has come to a halt. It is badly affecting us and making a lot of difference,” said Dhayal, a tomato exporter.
Tomato price in the wholesale market has plunged from ten rupees to three rupees per kg.
Worried about the sharp decline of the prices the farmers wished the strained relation of India and Pakistan to improve sooner than later.
“We want the relation between the two countries to improve. Until the border is opened, the prices will not climb,” said Kamrauddin, a tomato seller.
Pakistan is one of biggest importers of Indian tomatoes, bulk of which is produced in Rajasthan. (ANI)
- Pak onion exporters demand reopening of Wagah border - Jan 11, 2011
- Pakistan proposes petrol import from India - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan reaffirms ban on onion exports to India - Jan 11, 2011
- Pakistani onions arriving to wipe tears in India - Dec 21, 2010
- Rose prices set to soar ahead of Valentine's Day - Feb 08, 2012
- Amritsar looks at trade revival - with Pakistani help - Dec 20, 2010
- Pakistani onions poor, claim Chandigarh wholesalers - Dec 25, 2010
- Onion prices shoot up in Maharashtra - Sep 14, 2011
- Onion prices: Delhi wholesale market to function Sunday - Dec 25, 2010
- Capsicum set to pinch your pocket this monsoon - Jul 04, 2011
- MFN status will spur Indian tea exports to Pakistan - Oct 25, 2011
- Tomato prices to shoot up as rains hit yield in Himachal - Sep 26, 2010
- New India-Pakistan checkpost to boost trade, travel - Apr 08, 2012
- Chidambaram favours trade, commerce with Pakistan - Feb 20, 2010
- India-Pakistan talks focus on visas, Mumbai probe - May 24, 2012
Tags: boarder, decline, farmers, importers, india and pakistan, jaipur, kg, local markets, losses, overflow, perishable commodity, rajasthan, rupees, terror attacks, tomato crop, tomato growers, tomatoes, wholesale, wholesale market