To promote T-20 in England legendary Grace gets mohican haircutJune 12th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 12 (ANI): WG Grace, arguably the greatest England cricketer of all time, gets a punk makeover as part of a drive to promote the Twenty20 Cup, the short form of the English county game.
Grace has been given a mohican haircut for a new advertising campaign.
Graces blond mohican resembles the cut recently sported by English batsman Kevin Pietersen.
In a viral ad, which will be seeded on video-sharing websites such as YouTube, Grace is shown taking off his England cap to reveal his radical new hairstyle.
Peter Jackson, chief executive of Marstons Beer Company, which is behind the campaign, said Grace was chosen because his crowd-pleasing batting would not be out of place in the Twenty20 game.
WG Grace is still to this day revered for being the finest fielder in England as well as being behind the development of modern batting, The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
His unique passion and earnest commitment to the sport meant his performances commanded a big audience, and he single-handedly transformed the game into a national institution, Jackson added.
Tom Richardson, chief executive of Gloucestershire County Cricket Club, said: “WG Grace was the first superstar of cricket. What a tremendous asset he would be to our Twenty20 team today.
The first round of Twenty20 Cup matches are to be played on Thursday.
Grace, nicknamed The Great Cricketer, is credited with pioneering modern batting techniques. He played 22 Tests for England after making his debut in 1880. (ANI)
- Muralidaran granted UK work visa to play for Gloucestershire - Apr 07, 2011
- Test cricket here to stay: Sri Lankan cricket novelist - Oct 04, 2011
- Gloucestshire rope in Lankan spinner Murali for Twenty20 cricket - Feb 11, 2011
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- Retirement home fire claims ex-England cricketer Trevor 'Barnacle' Bailey's life - Feb 11, 2011
- Broad signs fresh deal with Notts - Apr 13, 2011
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Conditions in UAE will favour Pakistan: Misbah - Jan 08, 2012
- PCB panel summons Afridi - Jun 02, 2011
- England yet to know about their warm-up game opponents - Oct 05, 2011
- ICC to probe county match-fixing charges - Mar 11, 2012
- No-fear attitude finally pays off for James Franklin - Feb 09, 2011
- End 50-over cricket, says England spinner Swann - Dec 01, 2011
- South African bowling coach Donald plans to topple England - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: advertising campaign, batsman, beer company, county cricket club, cricketer, england cap, gloucestershire county cricket, gloucestershire county cricket club, graces, haircut, kevin pietersen, makeover, national institution, new advertising, new hairstyle, peter jackson, tom richardson, twenty20 cup, video sharing websites, wg grace