Tintin made his Belgian creator ‘’sick”, reveal lettersNovember 22nd, 2008 - 1:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 22 (ANI): Tintin might have made his creator famous all over the world, but Herge confessed in his previously written letters that the comic character and his dog Snowy made him “sick”.
The starling confession was a part around 300 hundred letters written by the Belgian author which were auctioned on November 22 in Paris.
“I”m so tired,” he wrote in 1947, shortly after the war Herge’’s career was tainted with links to Nazism, as he continued to publish his cartoons during the war in a Belgian newspaper used for collaborationist propaganda.
“There is a complete divorce between what I think and what I invent and draw,” he wrote.
“And right now, my work makes me sick,” he tells his wife.
“Tintin is no longer me. And I must make a terrible effort to invent (him)… If Tintin continues to live, it is through a sort of artificial respiration that I must constantly keep up and which is exhausting me,” he added.
These letters provide an insight into Herges private thoughts, including love for his first wife and a guilty admission of adultery, reports the Telegraph.
The letters were sold for 112,000 euros- around ten times the amount estimated- to the Jean-Claude Vrain book shop in the French capital.
They include a postcard to his parents from a boy scout’’s camp in 1921 when he was just 14, while the others showed the highs and lows of Herge’’s creative and love life until the early 1950s.
The letters were kept by Herge’’s nephew, Georges Remi Jr and showed the boyish enthusiasm he shared with his famous cartoon reporter turned at times to ennui and doubt. (ANI)
- Tintin cover fetches record price - Jun 03, 2012
- Danish actor who inspired Belgian cartoonist to create 'Tintin' dies - Dec 06, 2010
- 'Banning Tintin is like book burning' - Jun 02, 2010
- Danish actor may have inspired comic-book hero Tintin - Dec 08, 2010
- Tintin, the ageless boy reporter, turns 80 - Jan 11, 2009
- China launches new version of Tintin adventures - Jan 21, 2010
- 'The Adventures of Tintin' - a Spiel-bugging experiment (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ** 1/2) - Nov 10, 2011
- Spanish bawdy version of Tintin withdrawn from bookstores - Aug 18, 2008
- Tintin creator was dogged by charges of anti-Semitism, racism: Book - Jul 29, 2009
- French outrage over gay Tintin claims - Jan 10, 2009
- Tintin told off by Turkish TV regulators - for smoking - Feb 17, 2010
- The secret of Tintin, 80 - Jan 09, 2009
- Tintin 'to be sued' for racism - Sep 02, 2009
- Charlotte Bronte's love letters to Belgian professor found - Jan 27, 2012
- Children improve in rare disorder with own stem cells - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: 1950s, admission, adultery, artificial respiration, belgian author, boy scout, comic character, confession, ennui, first wife, french capital, georges remi, highs and lows, jean claude, love life, nazism, nephew, postcard, private thoughts, propaganda