Tight security ahead of Chhath Puja in MumbaiNovember 4th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Nov.4 (ANI): Security was tightened along the seashore and beaches in Mumbai where families of eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bihar were to celebrate the traditional Chatth Puja.
Usually celebrated a week after the Deepavali and spread over two to three days, this year it is being performed between November 3 and 5.
The security measures in Mumbai hold significance keeping in mind recent attacks by the newly floated Maharashtra Navnirman Sena against north Indians and the party workers threatening attitude towards organization of Chatth festival.
“You must have seen the preparations. We are doing lot of arrangements and the people are quite excited of this Puja. This year the administration has helped us a lot specially in case of the availability of water, lights, toilets and ambulance. The security arrangements are also being taken care by the administration as the crowd has been estimated to increase this year,” said Subhash Passi, the Organiser of Chattha Puja at Juhu beach in Mumbai.
Although the Maharashtra government and civic bodies including the Police in Mumbai has beefed up security measures, migrants from the north India in Mumbai were skeptical with the way certain agencies have handled the overall public safety and security so far in the recent past.
“The whole country knows how the security actually works here. It should not happen to be a show off stuff. Rather security should be taken more seriously,” said Bhanu Aggarwal, a mimicry artiste.
Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena has been carrying out anti-north Indian campaign for past few months here.
Raj had earlier threatened not to allow organization of Biharis Chhath Puja as a matter of protest against people from Bihar. (ANI)
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- MNS protests wrongful sacking of HSBC employees - May 04, 2012
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP on top in Thane - Feb 17, 2012
- Raj Thackeray promises post-Diwali 'fireworks' for Nirupam - Oct 29, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: bihar, civic bodies, deepavali, eastern uttar pradesh, indian campaign, maharashtra government, migrants, mimicry, mumbai, north india, public safety, puja, raj thackeray, safety and security, seashore, security arrangements, security measures, sena, tight security, water lights