Tibetans in-exile pay homage to victims of China earthquakeMay 19th, 2010 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamsala (Himachal Pradesh), May 19 (ANI): Tibetans in-exile held a candlelight vigil and offered special prayers in Himachal Pradesh’s Dharamsala city for their comrades, who died in the devastating earthquake that hit China on April 14.
They paid homage to the victims in a candlelight procession and finally gathered at the main Buddhist temple, Tsuglagkhang.
Buddhist Monks held prayer sessions for the rebirth of the victims and will continue to offer prayers for seven weeks, in keeping with tradition.
“Today is the fifth week of those who have died on April 14 during the earthquake. So we are showing our solidarity for them. Those who have lost their lives, we are offering prayers for their rebirth,” said Tsering Phungchok, Tibetan settlement officer.
The official death toll climbed to 2,046 people, with 193 still missing in the strong quake that toppled hundreds of homes and schools.
Meanwhile, the Dalai Lama has appealed to the Chinese Government to allow him to visit China for the first time in 51 years and see the quake zone in Qinghai province, where he was born. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama leads special prayers for Tibet flood victims in Dharamshala - Aug 14, 2010
- Tibetans in Dharamsala offer special prayers for Dalai Lama - Apr 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama offers prayers for Tibet earthquake victims - Apr 28, 2010
- Tibetans held candlelight vigil in memory of earth quake victims - Apr 25, 2010
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoy urges China to allow spiritual leader to visit quake-hit area - May 14, 2010
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Tibetan youth who immolated himself cremated - Mar 30, 2012
- Dalai Lama offers prayers to mark 51st anniversary of Tibetans' uprising - Mar 10, 2010
- China nationally to mourn quake victims Wednesday - Apr 20, 2010
- Tibetan monks in Himachal pray for flash flood victims of Leh - Aug 10, 2010
- Tibetans pray for longevity of Dalai Lama at Tsuglagkhang Temple in Dharamshala - Jan 23, 2010
- Tibetans pray for Chinese earthquake victims - Apr 24, 2010
- Tibetans hold prayers for Arunachal chief minister - May 05, 2011
Tags: buddhist monks, buddhist temple, candlelight procession, candlelight vigil, china earthquake, chinese government, comrades, dalai lama, death toll, devastating earthquake, earthquake dharamsala, himachal pradesh, official death, pay homage, prayer sessions, quake zone, rebirth, seven weeks, tibetan settlement, tibetans