Tibetan Democracy Day celebrated in DharamsalaSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 8:25 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamsala, Sep 2 (ANI): The Tibetans living-in-exile celebrated the 50th anniversary of Tibetan Democracy Day in Himachal Pradesh’s Dharamsala city on Thursday.
Over thousands of people, including Buddhist nuns and monks attended the function at the Tsuglagkhang temple in Dharamsala along with a host of other senior functionaries.
Senior functionaries and local people took part in the celebrations.
“It is an institution, which is transparent, which is accountable and abides by the rule of law. In the Kashag’s statement whatever accomplishments we have been able to achieve in attaining greater freedom in terms of law, democracy,” said Tibetan Government-in-exile spokesperson Thubten Samphel.
“It’s all due to the efforts made by His holiness the Dalai Lama,” he added.
Tibetan performers and children sang and danced to commemorate the event.China has accused the Dalai Lama of being a ’splittist’ and seeking independence of Tibet, but he says he only wants autonomy for the Tibetans.
The Dalai Lama has in recent years called for limited autonomy for Tibet, but some Tibetans are demanding full independence. (ANI)
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Lobsang Sangay is Kalon Tripa, to carry on Tibetan legacy (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Tibetans hail Dalai Lama-Obama meet - Jul 17, 2011
- Tibet's unique culture in peril, says PM-in-exile - Oct 19, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Tibetans welcome Obama, Dalai Lama meeting - Jul 16, 2011
- Dalai Lama reverses 350-year-old tradition - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama joins prayers over Tibetan monastery stand-off - Apr 26, 2011
- Tibetan who died to be cremated in Dharamsala - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: 50th anniversary, autonomy, buddhist nuns, celebrations, china, dalai lama, democracy, dharamsala, freedom, himachal pradesh, holiness, living in exile, nuns and monks, rule of law, spokesperson, tibet, tibetan government in exile