Tibetan beauties interact with exiled Tibetan studentsNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:49 am ICT by admin
The contestants vying for the Miss Tibet 2007 are undergoing the third day of their training, which includes interactions, dance, yoga, catwalk and orientation in Tibetan culture, current affairs, environmental issues, music and human rights before the contest begins on October 12.
Twenty-year old Tshering Yangzom, a contestant from Karnataka, said she was happy to interact with young students and hoped to use the glamour quotient as a platform for creating international awareness for the cause of Tibet.
“I know in Tibet there has never been a contest like Miss Tibet. But in exile, there are lots of facilities. So, in exile, we will continue with the struggle which was started buy our freedom fighters,” said Yangzom.
The contestants played with the students and also took a tour of the school.
Nawang Lahmo, a girl student, was in awe of the beauties. “All the girls are the pride shine of Tibet. They have nice dresses and nice faces. I like it,” she said.
The Miss Tibet beauty pageant, in its sixth year, is a budget contest held in McLeodganj.
Lobsang Wangyal Productions started the contest in 2002.
The pageant has survived through the years, at times witnessing only a single participant.
The pageant has had its share of success and failure on the international stage due to objections by Beijing.
Dolma Tsering, Miss Tibet 2003, represented Tibet at the Miss Tourism World contests in Malaysia and Mexico, winning the Miss Goodwill and Best National Costumes titles respectively.
Miss Tibet 2006 was able to enter the Miss Earth competition 2006 in The Philippines.
However, Tashi Yangchin, Miss Tibet 2004, was chucked out of the Miss Tourism World in Zimbabwe due to pressure from China. (ANI)
- Six to compete for Miss Tibet title - May 28, 2011
- Miss Tibet pageant cancelled - May 02, 2012
- Walking the ramp for Tibet, their lost homeland - Jun 02, 2010
- Tenzin Norzom is Miss Tibet - Jun 07, 2010
- Four to vie for Miss Tibet crown - May 30, 2010
- First Tibetan women's team to keep date with ball (With Image) - May 25, 2012
- Dalai Lama not to address Tibetans on 'uprising day' - Mar 09, 2012
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- Four eves to contest for Miss Tibet 2010 crown - May 30, 2010
- Miss Tibet Beauty Pageant kicks off with swimsuit round - Jun 05, 2010
- Who will lead the Tibetan cause after Dalai Lama? - Mar 19, 2011
- Varanasi girl crowned Miss Tibet 2010 - Jun 07, 2010
- Tibetans campaign for 'Mr. Tibet, Tibetan Idol' contests to promote their culture - Apr 03, 2011
- India should be careful in dealing with China: Dolma - Mar 26, 2012
- Tibetan minister to launch awareness drive in Northeast - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: beauties, beauty pageant, dance yoga, dolma, exile, girl student, glamour quotient, goodwill, international awareness, international stage, miss earth, miss tourism, national costumes, success and failure, tcv, tibet, tibetan culture, tibetan students, tourism world, world contests