Thunderstorm kills two in AssamApril 25th, 2010 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Apr 25 (ANI): At least two people were killed and 100 injured when a devastating thunderstorm hit Assam on Sunday.
According to officials, the storm damaged over 1,500 homes.
Sources added that one person was killed in Goalpara district, while another died in Darrang district in the thunderstorm.
The storm was accompanied by heavy rains with wind speed of about 80 km per hour.
This is the second massive thunderstorm to have hit Assam this fortnight.
On April 16, a cyclonic storm damaged up to 300 homes in several parts of the state.
“It was a real devastating storm with the damage quite extensive. We are assessing the damage and doing our best to provide relief to those affected,” said Assam’s Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Bhumidhar Barman.
The storm which lasted for about 45 minutes left a trail of destruction in most parts of Assam.
Most parts of the state plunged into darkness with power supply badly hit as trees fell on high tension wires and electric poles were uprooted.
Districts such as Kamrup (Rural), Kamrup (Metro), Goalpara, Darrang, Chirang, Baksa, Nalbari and Barpeta are among the worst hit.
The storm severely disrupted road communication in several areas.
In Guwahati, at least 30 people were injured with trees falling on moving vehicles, while flying tin roofs in several areas wounded panic-stricken pedestrians who were caught unawares by the sudden thunderstorm.
The meteorological department Sunday predicted more rain and thunderstorms over most parts of Assam in the next couple of days. (ANI)
- Assam storm kills two, damages 1,500 homes - Apr 25, 2010
- Five killed, 4,000 houses flattened in Assam thunderstorm (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Two killed, 50 injured as thunderstorm lashes Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Assam government to support storm-affected - Apr 15, 2010
- Four killed, over 20 injured in Assam thunderstorm - Apr 14, 2010
- Storm toll rises to 128, victims say relief inadequate (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Assam floods toll 18 dead, 2,500 train passengers still stranded (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Curfew relaxed in Assam, 100 people detained - Aug 17, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 10 killed, thousands displaced in northeast floods - Sep 12, 2010
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Assam prays for peace this Eid - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: assam, couple of days, cyclonic storm, darkness, electric poles, fortnight, guwahati, heavy rains, high tension wires, meteorological department, metro, nalbari, pedestrians, power supply, rain, thunderstorm, thunderstorms, tin roofs, trees, wind speed