Three Taliban among 10 killed in clashes with tribal elders in Bajaur AgencyNovember 19th, 2008 - 10:37 am ICT by ANI
Bajaur Agency (Pakistan), Nov 18 (ANI): At least 10 people, included three Taliban, were killed in clashes between the Taliban and pro-government tribal leaders in the Bajaur Agency last evening.
According to local government officials, the Taliban intercepted a convoy of vehicles carrying 12 pro-government elders of the Mamoond tribe.
The tribesmen opened fire and killed three Taliban, including their commander. The elders then took refuge in a guesthouse belonging to a local tribal chief, but more Taliban arrived, who besieged the house and demanded the local chief hand over the elders, the Daily Times quoted a local government official Israr Khan as saying.
He added: They opened fire and lobbed hand grenades inside, killing four elders and three servants of the tribal chief.
Separately, in Swat at least 17 Taliban were killed and several injured in clashes with security forces in Swat on Tuesday, a military statement said.
Security forces fired artillery on Taliban hideouts in Kabal tehsil of Swat, which triggered a crossfire, killing seven Taliban, it added.
Besides, troops also killed eight Taliban following an abortive attempt by them to ambush a convoy of security forces in Khawazakhela area, the statement added. (ANI)
- 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 19, 2010
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 32 killed in clashes in north-west Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Militants kill anti-Taliban militiamen in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 24, 2009
- Twenty-four militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2009
- Mutilated bodies of five Taliban suspects found in NWFP - Aug 10, 2009
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 18 killed in militant attack in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2010
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- 14 militants killed in gun battle in Pakistan - Mar 20, 2010
- Anti-Taliban militia in northwest Pak ends cooperation with government - Mar 11, 2011
- Pakistani fighter jets pound FATA, 12 Taliban killed - Jul 05, 2010
- Roadside bombs kill five in Pakistan - Jan 03, 2010
Tags: abortive attempt, artillery, bajaur agency, clashes, convoy, crossfire, government official, government officials, guesthouse, hand grenades, hideouts, local government, security forces, servants, swat, taliban, tehsil, tribal elders, tribal leaders, tribesmen