Three PHED officials released after 18 days’ captivity in ManipurNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:07 am ICT by admin
“During custody, there was no harassment and no threatening by them. We were staying there very happily,” said O. Meino Singh.
“I feel very good after meeting my family. Mostly I am relieved about my second son. Because of my absence he could not concentrate on his studies,” said L. Ibomcha Singh.
The three officials, including two engineers, were abducted by the Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) on October 12.
Reports said KRA had demanded 10 million rupees for the safe return of the hostages but officials did not confirm any ransom was paid.
The three officials were kidnapped while they were on their way back after inspecting water supply schemes being undertaken at Lamlai and its surrounding areas in Eastern Imphal.
They were kidnapped by armed persons travelling in a Maruti Gypsy while three other persons were let off.
In February, two PHED officials were kidnapped reportedly by the same group and later released.
There are around 15 rebel groups operating in Manipur. About 10,000 people have been killed in more than three decades of violence.
About 50,000 troops are deployed in the state of almost two million people. (ANI)
- Manipuris protest against kidnapping of engineers - Nov 14, 2007
- Manipuri's fed up with repeated bomb attacks - Mar 03, 2010
- Total blockade in parts of Manipur, life badly affected - Nov 04, 2011
- Militants abduct government engineers in Manipur - Nov 28, 2010
- Hiding PLA militant held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Two Manipur militants arrested in Delhi - Dec 07, 2010
- Six PLA militants surrender in Imphal - Sep 08, 2010
- PLA militant arrested in Imphal - Dec 29, 2010
- Resolve issues through dialogue: Chidambaram - Nov 02, 2011
- Abductions for extortion by militants rising in Manipur - Dec 20, 2009
- Four suspected militants arrested in Manipur - Feb 20, 2011
- Apex court to hear plea linked to Manipur blockade - Dec 12, 2011
- Militancy related problems not yet over in Manipur - Mar 05, 2011
- Road blockade hits life in Manipur - Sep 19, 2011
- Villagers become victims of internal fight among militant groups - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: abducted, assistant engineer, captivity, executive engineer, gypsy, hostages, kra, kuki, manipur, maruti, more than three decades, october 12, officials, ransom, rebel groups, revolutionary army, rupees, safe return, two million, water supply schemes