Three militants killed in north Kashmir gunfightFebruary 1st, 2009 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 1 (IANS) The Indian Army gunned down three separatist guerrillas in a gunfight in north Jammu and Kashmir Sunday, a defence spokesman said here.”Three terrorists have been killed in an operation by 21 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) after a fierce gunfight in a difficult and inhospitable mountainous region of the Wadarbala forest in Kupwara district,” he said.
“Braving intense cold conditions and hazardous terrain, troops of RR established contact with the terrorists in the early hours today. On reaching the outer fringes of the hideout, militants opened fire on the advancing troops. The gunfight continued for six hours, resulting in the killing of the three terrorists whose identity is being ascertained,” the spokesman said.
“Two AK-56, one AK-47, one pistol, nine magazines and a large quantity of ammunition besides rations and logistic materials were later recovered from the hideout, which is perched in a snowbound area at a height of 2,700 metres above sea level in Wadarbala forest,” the spokesman said.
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Two most wanted LeT commanders killed (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- The harsh realities of counter-insurgency operations - May 28, 2011
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in gunfight - Jul 23, 2011
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir - Jul 14, 2012
- Militant outfit busted in Kupwara - May 17, 2010
- Kashmir: Three policemen, three militants killed - Sep 27, 2011
- Woman dies in Kashmir crossfire - Aug 22, 2011
- Army busts militant hideout in Kashmir - May 17, 2010
Tags: ak 47, ammunition, cold conditions, defence spokesman, gunfight, hideout, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, militants, mountainous region, north kashmir, outer fringes, pistol, rashtriya rifles, rations, sea level, separatist guerrillas, six hours, srinagar