Three militants killed in Jammu and Kashmir gun-battles (Lead)March 28th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar/Jammu, March 28 (IANS) Three guerrillas were killed in two separate gunfights with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir Saturday amid growing fears that cross-border militant and arms incursions have intensified ahead of the polls.
Two guerrillas were killed in a gunfight in a south Kashmir forest while the third was gunned down in a shootout in Rajouri, officials said.
The army and the police in a joint search operation surrounded a south Kashmir forest near Awantipore, about 30 km from Srinagar, a police officer said, adding, “The operation was launched on specific information about the presence of guerrillas.”
The security forces came under a heavy fire from the militants when the joint team was conducting search operations, the police officer said. “In the subsequent gunfight, two unidentified guerrillas were killed.”
One guerrilla was killed in a shootout in the jungles of Dharmsal in the frontier district of Rajouri, about 160 km north of Jammu, a defence spokesman said.
The spokesman said the shootout erupted when army troops were conducting a search operation in village Bravi Baji Mahal.
One AK47 rifle, three magazines, two phones and one wireless set were recovered from the slain militant, the spokesman said.
The gunfights come amid reports that a large number of militants and ammunition from Pakistan have either been smuggled or were waiting to cross into Jammu and Kashmir to target the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Earlier this week, at least 17 militants and eight army troops were killed in a six-day long battle in a forest area in north Kashmir.
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Militant killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 11, 2010
- Gunfight in Kashmir - Sep 01, 2012
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Terrorists in Kashmir intercepted in time: Army - Apr 03, 2010
- One guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 02, 2012
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Four terrorists, soldier killed in Kashmir gun battle (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2010
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Three militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 14, 2010
- Kashmir gunfight: Search operations called off (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Kashmir: Three policemen, three militants killed - Sep 27, 2011
- 10-hour Kashmir gunfight ends, five guerrillas killed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: ak47, army troops, baji, bravi, defence spokesman, forest area, frontier district, guerrillas, gun battles, gunfight, gunfights, incursions, jammu and kashmir, jungles, kashmir, lok sabha polls, north kashmir, search operation, search operations, south kashmir