Three killed, several injured in Nandigram violence(Update-Nandigram)November 14th, 2007 - 2:58 am ICT by admin
The BUPC members and the CPI-M activists exchanged fire and hurled bombs from Satenganbari village and Takapura in Nandigram and from the adjacent CPI-M stronghold of Khejuri since Friday night, police said.
Three killed and one injured in the violence were its members, the BUPC claimed.
However, according to police officials, the three who were killed in bomb explosion near the Left party’s camp at Sherkhan Chowk in Khejuri area were CPI-M backed activists.
The CPI-M alleged that the Bhumi Uchhed Pratirodh Committee (BUPC), spearheading the anti-land acquisition movement in Nandigram block of East Midnapore district, was behind the killings.
Police officials said the violence had continued till the afternoon.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who had rushed to Nandigram, has reportedly called a shutdown there today.
Sporadic clashes between rival groups have continued despite the State government’s decision against the setting up of a chemical hub in the area in the face of protests from a section of the people there. (ANI)
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- Fresh violence erupts in Bengal, seven held - Nov 24, 2010
- 1 killed in Nandigram violence - Nov 14, 2007
- Tension grips Nandigram over CPI-M shutdown - Aug 07, 2008
- CPI-M activist shot dead in Nandigram (Lead) - Aug 07, 2008
- I have not been informed about all party meeting: Mamata - Aug 09, 2008
- One killed in Nandigram following fresh violence - Aug 07, 2008
- Calm but uneasy Nandigram awaits Lok Sabha polls - Apr 14, 2009
- Bullets fired at Mamata's convoy (Lead: Nandigram violence) - Nov 14, 2007
- Poll panel team visits Bengal's trouble spots - Jan 19, 2011
- At least 10 injured in renewed Nandigram violence (Lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- 10 anti-acquisition activists injured in Nandigram - Aug 12, 2008
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Crude bombs, firearms recovered from Nandigram - Aug 13, 2008
- Anti-acquisition activists demonstrate in Nandigram - Aug 11, 2008
Tags: activists, bhumi, bomb explosion, chowk, committee, congress chief, CPI, land acquisition, police officials, rival groups, sherkhan, shutdown, sporadic clashes, stronghold, trinamool congress, violence