Three killed in Yunnan Province quakeAugust 22nd, 2008 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.22 (ANI): At least three people were killed by a 5.9-magnitude tremor in Chinas Yunnan Province.
According to a China View report, two quakes were recorded in Yingjiang, a county on the Sino-Myanmar border, on Thursday: one 4.9-magnitude event at 8:20 p.m. and another 5.9-magnitude quake four minutes later.
Provincial officials said 106 people were injured, including 24 seriously. They also said that about 120,000 people had to be evacuated.
There was also damage to transport, power, water and communications infrastructure, as well as education and health facilities.
Blackouts were reported in the county seat of Yingjiang and some of its townships. Some areas got their power back by 10:20 p.m. on Thursday.
A seven-member panel of seismologists from the China Earthquake Administration left for the area on Friday, to join 50 local earthquake specialists already in Yingjiang. (ANI)
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- At least 19 dead, 168 injured injured after quake devastates SW China county - Mar 10, 2011
- China offers aid to quake- hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- 14 killed in China quake - Mar 10, 2011
- Quake hits China, damages 678 homes - Feb 02, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Four injured in China quake - Jun 21, 2011
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Moderate earthquake destroys homes, injures dozens in northwest China - Aug 12, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake rocks China-Myanmar border region, casualties unknown - Mar 10, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits off Oregon coast, no damage - Apr 12, 2012