Three killed in clahes in Kashmir ValleyAugust 25th, 2008 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar/Jammu, Aug 25 (ANI): Three people were killed on Monday as security forces opened fire to control stone pelting protesters and atleast 70 others were injured in street battles with security forces in Srinagar and at many places across the Kashmir Valley.
According to reports, Shoukat Ahmad Khanday was shot dead and another youth injured when security forces opened fire to contain stone-pelting protesters, who came out on roads defying the curfew at Narbal, on the outskirts of Srinagar.
Another youth, Basit Bashir, was killed in clashes between protesters and security forces in Pulwama district town. Four others with bullet injuries were admitted to the district hospital. In Kupwaras Chootipora village, an 18-year-old girl, Fehmeeda, was killed when security personnel opened fire. Sources said the incident was being investigated.
The protesters tried to march for a sit-in at Lal Chowk this morning. Security forces had to cane-charge, lob tear gas shells and fire several rounds in air to disperse the protesters before resorting to the firing.
Curfew remained clamped in all the ten districts of the Kashmir Valley for the second day today, even as authorities arrested Hurriyat leaders, Sayed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik as a precautionary measure to prevent their attempts to organise a rally, which they called to protest against the failure of the Centre to resolve the Kashmir issue.
Meanwhile in Jammu region, at least 15 people, including a Senior Superintendent of Police, were injured today when protestors clashed with security forces in Digiana and Kathua areas during the 12-hour ”chakka jaam” agitation called by Shri Amarnath Yatra Sangarsh Samiti (SAYSS).
A large group of protestors took out a procession at Digiana on the Jammu-Pathankot National Highway. Police resorted to lathicharge and burst teargas shells to disperse the stone-pelting mobs.
Authorities tried to ensure that there was no blockade on the NH from Pathankot to Jawahar tunnel where prohibitory orders were imposed. (ANI)
- Four injured as Police fire teargas shells on stone-pelters in Srinagar - Aug 16, 2010
- Sporadic post-Eid prayer clashes in Kashmir - Aug 31, 2011
- Curfew clamped in Kashmir Valley after violence - Jul 31, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Curfew continues in parts of Kashmir valley due to stone pelting incidents - Sep 13, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Curfew relaxed for four hours in parts of Srinagar - Sep 18, 2010
- Curfew reimposed in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2010
- Geelani arrested, dozens injured in Valley clashes (Night Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- One killed, five injured in clashes in Kashmir - Sep 17, 2010
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010