Three Eids in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:17 am ICT by admin
The criticism against observing the function on three different days, was not an obsession with synchronicity, but the belief that fasting on Eid day is a cardinal sin. To say so, three Eids this year have ended up making many sinners as in the past, which was pointed out in an editorial in the Daily Times.
Pakistan’s top cleric Mufti Munibur Rehman first criticised the Saudi authorities for deciding the Eid day without any rules then declared Eid in Pakistan on Sunday.
The Saudis announced their Eid on Friday, which led to some Saudi-influenced mosques in London to declare it in unison, and some not so influenced declared it for Saturday.
This year Mufti Munibur Rehman was lucky not to have fallen victim to the wrath of his fellow-priests. Some years ago, when he insisted on the “rules of sighting” the moon, some ulema from the NWFP had roughed him up.
Muslim scientists have claimed again and again that they can give a mathematically perfect date of appearance of the Shawwal moon many years in advance.
They have said that Muslim calendars can actually lay down the Eid days accurately. But no one listens to them. The rule is to see the moon with the bare eye.
It is possible that Saudi Arabia has adopted the scientific method without admitting it. But Pakistan uses the weather bureau watch-points for the purpose. (ANI)
- Pakistan to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Pakistan celebrates Eid on three days - Aug 19, 2012
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Shia Muslims to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr on Monday - Sep 20, 2009
- Ramadan to begin August 11: UAE astronomer - Jun 21, 2010
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- Secular Nepal celebrates first Eid with independent moon-sighting - Sep 21, 2009
- Eid-ul-Zuha is about the spirit of sacrifice (Comment) - Nov 07, 2011
- Heavy military presence for Pakistani Kashmir polls (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- India-Saudi ties poised for upsurge after Jundal handover (News Analysis) - Jul 29, 2012
- Kashmiris prepare for Eid with prayers, shopping - Aug 29, 2011
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- UAE moon sighting committee to meet Aug 29 - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: eid, eids, fallen victim, fellow priests, frontier province, mosques in london, mufti, muslim scientists, north west frontier, nwfp, pakistan, perfect date, rehman, saudi authorities, saudis, scientific method, see the moon, synchronicity, unison, weather bureau