Three CRPF troopers killed in Kashmir fratricidal shootoutDecember 25th, 2011 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 25 (IANS) Three paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and one critically wounded in a fratricidal shootout in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir Sunday, police said.
“An altercation broke out between some jawans of the 18th Battalion of CRPF inside their Kulgam camp, and they opened fire at each other,” a senior police officer told IANS.
“Four jawans were injured in the shootout. While three succumbed to injuries, the fourth has been shifted to Srinagar for treatment.”
Police said the jawans involved in the shootout were CRPF drivers.
Senior police and CRPF officers have rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Fratricidal shootouts have taken place many times in the past as well within the security forces doing counter insurgency duties in Jammu and Kashmir during the last two decades.
Continued separation from family, long duty hours, lack of recreational facilities, poor command and control structure have been cited as reasons for such incidents by counsellors engaged to address the problem.
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- CRPF officer commits suicide in Kashmir - Aug 28, 2011
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Second Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper commits suicide in Kashmir (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper shoots himself in Kashmir (Third lead) - May 30, 2010
- Trainee cop commits suicide in Kashmir - Jan 27, 2012
- Trooper kills colleagues inside CRPF camp - Oct 31, 2009
- CRPF constable shoots self in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Soldier kills four colleagues in Kashmir army camp - Apr 28, 2011
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- CRPF learning yoga to bust enemy within (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- Gurrillas shoot dead two policemen in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- 1 killed, 15 injured in south Kashmir blast (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Seven CRPF troopers wounded in Srinagar militant attack - May 30, 2012
Tags: altercation, battalion, control structure, counsellors, counter insurgency, crpf, dec 25, decades, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, police force, police officer, reserve police, security forces, shootouts, stock