Threat to Kasab’s life, police beef up securityFebruary 10th, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 10 (IANS) Security was beefed up inside and around the Arthur Road jail in south-central Mumbai Tuesday following a threat perception to the life of captured terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, police sources said.
The move came after central intelligence agencies indicated a threat to Kasab’s life from some mafia dons based in Pakistan, the well-placed police sources said.
The central agencies had recently intercepted a message which alerted them to the possibility of an attempt on Kasab, they said.
A senior crime branch official confirmed that police had been getting “intelligence inputs suggesting a threat to Kasab’s life since the day he was arrested” but declined to elaborate on the issue.
He assured that despite the threats, Kasab is “safe and secure”.
The sources said that Chhota Shakeel, an associate of mafia don Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar, said to be hiding in Pakistan, had taken a contract to eliminate Kasab.
Altough it is not clear which forces or groups want Kasab eliminated, the role of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) is not ruled out, the sources said.
Chhota Shakeel is reportedly organising a dozen-strong team of crack shooters to undertake a ’suicide mission’ and attempt to kill Kasab.
In addition, police have learnt that different cases have been filed or are in the process of being lodged against Kasab in at least 11 countries; some of them plan to seek his extradition from India.
Among the countries are those whose nationals were among the 26 foreigners killed in the Nov 26, 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks. These countries may want Kasab to face trial.
Kasab was the only terrorist captured alive while his nine associates were killed in the 60-hour anti-terrorist operation by combined security forces.
- Kaskar attack: Custody of two accused extended - Jun 06, 2011
- No threat of mafia gang war in Mumbai: R.R. Patil - May 18, 2011
- India's Most Wanted list goof-up: Another man found in Mumbai - May 19, 2011
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
- Kasab: He first took to crime, then to jehad - Aug 29, 2012
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
- Dawood brother was not attacked, say police (Second Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Shahrukh's Bungalow Become Chhota Shakeel's Target - Nov 04, 2010
- Abu Salem attacked in jail by Dawood henchman - Jul 24, 2010
- Police custody for Kaskar driver's shooters (Third Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Abu Salem stabbed by Dawood aide in jail, now stable (Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Iqbal Kaskar not at shootout site, claim Mumbai police (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- 'Dey silenced as he was to expose match fixing in IPL' - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: ajmal, altough, amir, arthur road, central intelligence, central mumbai, chhota shakeel, combined security, crime branch, don dawood ibrahim, extradition, foreigners, intelligence agencies, inter services, mafia don, police beef, police sources, security forces, suicide mission, threat perception