Thousands to participate in Terry Fox run on Sep. 14September 9th, 2008 - 7:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 9 (ANI): The Terry Fox Run will be held here at Karnail Singh stadium on September 14 to generate funds for cancer research.
Thousands of people, mostly schoolchildren, will take part in the run. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Canadian High Commissioner Joseph Caron will flag off the 3.5 km run.
The run is considered the largest single-day fund-raiser for cancer research in the world. People come together as individuals, families” schoolchildren and groups to raise money in Terry Fox’’s name.
The money generated from the run money will be handed over to the Rotary Cancer Hospital at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences for research on cancer affecting children.
The run is in the memory of Terry Fox who was diagnosed with bone cancer at 18, and he decided to run across the nation to generate funds for cancer research, calling his journey the ”Marathon of Hope”.
After running 143 days and covering 5,373 km, he was forced to stop as cancer affected the lungs and he passed away on June 28, 1981.
The run is being organised by Indo Canadian Cancer Research Foundation (ICCRF), which is open to all who can run, jog, walk, rollerblade, or choose any other means of non-motorised transport, said Gary Gareau, Chairperson of ICCRF.
The run was first held in 1981 and since then it has been a regular event worldwide. It is held in 32 countries of world annually.
In India it is held in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore. India stands fifth in raising funds for cancer in world through this run. (ANI)
- Students run 'Marathon of Hope' for cancer patients in Mumbai - Feb 14, 2010
- Rahul Bose to run for cancer research in India - Jan 29, 2010
- Canada's envoy leaving Delhi to join Vancouver varsity - Jul 03, 2010
- No thought for pedestrians, cyclists on Indian roads: Experts - Apr 05, 2012
- Four day conference on efficient cities and transportation - Dec 02, 2011
- Indian-born CEO appointed senator in Canada - Jan 30, 2010
- 'Aarakshan' sees different aarakshan in Nepal - Aug 14, 2011
- Celebrities Make 'Stand Up To Cancer' Telethon A Grand Success - Sep 11, 2010
- Melanie Brown sells dresses for charity - Jun 13, 2012
- Ashley Cole bids £5K for a date with Ellie Goulding - Feb 29, 2012
- Bieber wins hearts at charity fund-raiser - Dec 23, 2011
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- Cycle rickshaw pullers plan rally - Mar 27, 2010
- Michael J. Fox reprises the role of Johnny B. Goode - Nov 15, 2011
- Hyderabad's air quality, traffic congestion causing concern (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, bangalore india, canadian high commissioner, cancer hospital, cancer research foundation, indo canadian, marathon of hope, mumbai delhi, sheila dikshit, terry fox run