Thousands protest in Delhi against Sethusamudram ProjectDecember 30th, 2007 - 9:45 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Dec 30 (ANI): Thousands of supporters of Hindu religious groups participated in a massive rally here today to protest against the controversial Sethusamudram Ship Canal Project.
The protest was organised by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) to protect the mythological bridge ‘Ramsetu’. The Hindu groups believe that the project that aims to carve a shipping channel in seas off the south coast would destroy the mythological bridge built by Lord Ram.
Over 50,000 supporters from across the country reached the protest site on the outskirts of New Delhi. They held banners that read “Save Ramsetu”.
VHP General Secretary Praveen Togadia said that the organisation would not let “the sacred bridge” to be broken.
RSS ‘Sarsanghachalak’ K S Sudarshan cautioned the Central government against going ahead with the project.
“Ram Sethu signifies India’s cultural heritage. We will not allow the government to go ahead with the project.” Sudarshan said.
Bharatiya Janata Party President Rajnath Singh and party General Secretary Arun Jaitley were also present at the rally.
The 560-million dollar project, approved by the government in 2005, plans to dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic.
However, according to the Central Government, research has shown that the “Ramsetu” was a series of sand shoals created by sedimentation and therefore no religious sentiments should be attached to it.
When the project is finished, ships sailing between India’s western and eastern coasts will not have to go around the south of Sri Lanka, and is expected to save up to 36 hours of sailing time. (ANI)
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Can Rama Sethu be made national monument, asks apex court - Mar 27, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Lok Sabha adjourned for the day (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Telangana, Sethusamudram disrupt Lok Sabha - Mar 29, 2012
- Rama Sethu: Apex court asks government about alternate route - Nov 03, 2009
Tags: arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, canal project, dollar project, eastern coasts, hindu groups, janata party president, lord ram, massive rally, praveen togadia, protest site, rajnath singh, ram sethu, religious sentiments, s sudarshan, sacred bridge, sailing time, sethusamudram project, shipping channel, vishwa hindu parishad