Thousands offer prayers on Prophet’s birth anniversaryMarch 10th, 2009 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 10 (IANS) Thousands of people converged at the famed Hazratbal shrine here Tuesday and offered prayers for peace and prosperity to mark the birth anniversary of Prophet Mohammed.
Muslim devotees from across the Kashmir Valley also had a glimpse of the Prophet’s holy relic at the shrine.
With moist eyes and folded hands, devotees were engaged in prayers and ‘Durud’ (praises of the Prophet) for the entire night at Hazratbal where special arrangements have been made for the ‘Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi’ celebrations.
“This day comes once in a year. On a day the Prophet of Islam was born, Allah answers the prayers of the faithful,” said 58-year-old Muhammad Sidique, who had come with his family to pray at the shrine.
Thousands of men and women remained awake through Monday night and prayed continuously until morning when the Prophet’s holy relic housed in the shrine was displayed.
Situated on the banks of the Dal Lake, the shrine is spread over many acres of sprawling lawns with the marble building standing majestically in the centre.
Special arrangements for security, transport, healthcare and sanitation have been made in the shrine area for the festivities that will come to an end Friday.
- 70,000 faithful throng Hazratbal shrine (With Images) - Feb 10, 2012
- Kashmir reverberates with prayers on Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- Thousands offer prayers at Valley's Hazratbal shrine - Feb 16, 2011
- Eid Milad-un-Nabi celebrated across the country - Mar 11, 2009
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Devotees offer prayers at Hazratbal shrine in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2010
- India celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha with spirit of sacrifice (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Thousands gather at Hazratbal to celebrate Prophet's birthday - Mar 21, 2008
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- BJP leaders visit Kashmir's Hazratbal shrine - Apr 14, 2011
- Milad celebrated with gaiety in Hyderabad - Feb 05, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: allah, birth anniversary, devotees, eid, festivities, folded hands, glimpse, holy relic, kashmir, kashmir valley, lawns, moist eyes, monday night, muhammad, praises, prayers for peace, prayers of the faithful, prophet mohammed, sanitation, shrine area