Thousands of devotees visit Coimbatore temple to worship Asia’’s biggest Ganesha idolSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by ANI
By Jehovah G
Coimbatore, Sep.3 (ANI): Thousands of devotees in Coimbatore are converging at the Mundhi Vinayaka Temple to pay their obeisance to the Asia’’s biggest Lord Ganesha idol here on the occasion of Ganesha Chadurthi (chaturthi) being celebrated today across the country.
At this temple, the 19-feet high Ganesh idol, weighing 190 tonnes, attracts everyones attention as it is made of a single stone.
Devotees from all walks of life are visiting the Mundhi Vinayaka Temple, located near Pulia Kalam Village of the city, to worship the special Lord Ganesha.
Meanwhile, special pujas are being conducted to Lord Ganesha at this temple on the occasion of Ganesha Chadurthi and the idol is decorated with 4,000 kilograms of flowers and 100 kgs of sandal paste.
Karthikeyan, the temple priest, said: Ganesha Chaurthi is being celebrated today all over the world, this Mundi Vinayakar is Asia’’s biggest idol and today special pujas are being conducted. It is decorated with four tonnes of flowers and the face is decorated with sandal paste, which looks like a small baby.
Every year over 100,000 devotees come here to worship Lord Ganesha. This year expect more than that number, the priest added.
Vasuki, one devotee, said: Today being Ganesha Chaturthi, special puja is being conducted to this Asia’’s biggest Ganesha here, large number of people are visiting to this temple. I also come here to worship Ganesha every year and this year too I prayed Lord Ganesha for the welfare of the people of this country.
Maharashtra is known to have several life-sized Ganesha idols. But they are made of plaster of Paris and often immersed into the sea after 10-day Ganesha puja.
Ganesha Chaturthi, the great Ganesha festival, also known as ”Vinayak Chaturthi” or ”Vinayaka Chavithi” is celebrated by Hindus around the world as the birthday of Lord Ganesha.
It is marked during the Hindu month of Bhadra (mid-August to mid-September). (ANI)
- Coimbatore devotees worship Asia's largest Ganesh idol on Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 01, 2011
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Hyderabad Ganesh festival begins amid tight security - Sep 01, 2011
- Hundreds of thousands devotees bid farewell to Lord Ganesha in Maharashtra - Sep 22, 2010
- Devotees throng temples to offer prayers to lord Ganesha - Sep 03, 2008
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi with prayers, sweets - Aug 23, 2009
- Lord Ganesh's idol in Vizag decorated with vegetables to protest inflation - Sep 12, 2010
- Ganesha comes to capital for 11-day gala - Sep 01, 2011
- Delhiites throng temples on Janmashtami - Sep 02, 2010
- Ganesha Chaturthi festival charms devotees across the country - Aug 23, 2009
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- Ganesh Chaturthi, Eid being celebrated today with fervor and gaiety - Sep 11, 2010
- Saffron group goes green for Ganesh Chaturthi - Aug 30, 2011