Thokchom Nanao Singh brings glory to Manipur with boxing gold medal in MexicoJanuary 6th, 2009 - 11:03 pm ICT by ANI
By L.C.K Singh
Imphal, Jan.6 (ANI): Eighteen-year-old Thokchom Nanao Singh of Manipur recently became the first Indian Boxer to win a gold medal at the AIBA world Youth Boxing Championship at Guadalajara in Mexico.
The Manipuri boy beat Russia’’s Grigoriy Nikolaychuk and won the medal.
Born in a farmer’’s family, Thokchom Nanao Singh hails from Khoijuman Village of States Bishnupur district, 35 kilometers from Imphal, the Manipur’’s capital city.
Singh began his boxing journey at the Manipur Amateur Boxing Association camp at the age of 10. Today, Nanao strongly advocates perseverance does bring its rewards.
I want to encourage the youth as this is a game where one can make a name for himself as well as for the country. If one puts in an effort, one will surely receive the award one day. Every player should aim to be a good player like Bijender and Akhil (the Olympic medallists),” said Th. Nanao Singh.
“I am very happy. I cannot express the joy that is within me. I am so grateful on this achievement. This has always been my hope, said Chingkheilumba, Nanao’’s Coach.
Nanao Singh has led a tough life. His recent achievement has brought hope and much joy into his family. His father met with an accident 19 years ago and had been on wheelchair ever since. Today, Nanao is not only a source of pride for the family but an inspiration for the whole State as well.
“Nanao’’s achievement is like a dream to me. I am so happy and I was in tears when he called me up saying he had won the medal. I shouted out with joy when I saw him fighting and winning at Mexico. His mom and I are so happy for his achievement,” said Th. Tobobi Singh, Nanao’’s Father.
“I never imagined that my son would be able to achieve such great heights. I am so happy and I am filled with joy,” said Keinahanbi Devi, Nanao’’s nother.
Nanao had his education and training from Army boys Company, Hyderabad and later joined the Army Sports Institute, Pune where he got world-class boxing training.
He has now participated and won various National and International boxing championships.
Today, Nanao represents the aspirations of all the youth of Manipur who want to make their mark in life and earn recognition not just at the regional but at the international level as well. (ANI)
- Nanao claims gold at World Youth Boxing Championship - Nov 02, 2008
- World Boxing Championship: Devendro in second round - Sep 26, 2011
- Body-builder making Manipur proud - Jan 14, 2011
- Nanao Singh enters world junior boxing final in Mexico - Nov 01, 2008
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Famous wood carver Umakanta Singh, Manipur's rising star - Mar 12, 2011
- Sports authorities felicitate pugilist Gold medallist Suranjoy in Manipur - Jul 08, 2009
- Nothing impossible for a determined man: CBSE topper (Second Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Manipur youth train to acquire vocational skills - Apr 12, 2011
- India's Vijender becomes world's top-ranked boxer in middle weight category - Sep 29, 2009
- India emerging as powerhouse of Asian boxing - Jun 22, 2009
- World Boxing Championships: Devendro cruises into prequarters - Oct 03, 2011
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- Tale of mother-son relationship adjudged best Manipuri film - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: 19 years, amateur boxing association, army boys, army sports, boxer, gold medal, guadalajara, hyderabad, imphal, inspiration, journey, kilometers, nanao, olympic medallists, perseverance, pride, puts, rewards, sports institute, wheelchair