Third South Asian conference on sanitation to open in DelhiNovember 17th, 2008 - 3:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 17 (ANI): The Ministry of Rural Development will organise a third South Asian Conference on Sanitation (SACOSAN-III) here from tomorrow.
The four day long conference will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Besides, the members of different UN and International Agencies, International and National NGOs, State officials, members of Panchayati Raj Institutions, local organizations, self help groups, women groups, community based organizations and the like are expected to participate in the conference.
Issues related with sustainable sanitation, making it people-centric, addressing gender issues, sanitation for nomadic and landless communities, economic gains of good sanitation, aspects of emergency situations, legal aspects relating to clean environment are likely to be discussed at length.
The theme of the conference is “Sanitation for Dignity and Health”. Under it issues like Sanitation and Sustainability, Sanitation and Development, Sanitation Beyond Toilets and Institutions and Partnerships for Sanitation will be discussed at length.
The objectives of such the conferences are, to accelerate the progress of sanitation and hygiene in South Asia and to enhance peoples” quality of life in fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals and the commitments made in the World Summit on Sustainable Development. Till date two conferences (SACOSANs) have been held at Bangladesh in 2003 and Pakistan in 2006 respectively. (ANI)
- Sulabh to launch sanitation project in Uganda - Jan 16, 2012
- Let's move beyond negative mindset: Khar - Sep 08, 2012
- Haryana claims 80 percent success in checking defecation in open - Sep 22, 2010
- President Patil emphasizes need for proper sanitation in rural areas - Mar 23, 2011
- Hello, This Is Nature's Call From A Garbage Heap! - Apr 07, 2012
- Moving beyond past, India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Third Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- US engineers' body lauds low-cost Indian toilet technology - May 18, 2010
- 'Rural women help Himachal fight open defecation' - Oct 24, 2010
- Assam to get $2.5 mn from UN body for rural hygiene - Sep 18, 2011
- Ambika Soni to inaugurate 'National Community Radio Sammelan' - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian firm gets Gates Foundation grant for `eToilet' - Aug 16, 2012
- South Asian experts call for gender sensitive sanitation - Nov 20, 2008
- India's 'Sulabh Sauchalaya' going global - May 23, 2010
- Tagore award for Bengali novelist - Aug 12, 2011
- Budget could give more for sanitation: Ramesh - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: asian conference, commitments, dignity, dr manmohan singh, economic gains, emergency situations, gender issues, legal aspects, manmohan, manmohan singh, millennium development goals, ministry of rural development, New Delhi, panchayati raj institutions, sanitation and hygiene, self help groups, South Asia, state officials, sustainable sanitation, world summit on sustainable development