Third runway at IGI Airport becomes operationalSeptember 25th, 2008 - 1:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 25 (ANI): The third runway of the Indira Gandhi Airport became operational from today with the landing of a British Airways plane.
A Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) spokesperson said that the third runway became operational with the landing of a British Airways plane from Heathrow at 6.20 a.m.
The decision in this regard was taken at a meeting of the Ministry of Civil Aviation with all stakeholders, chaired by Joint Secretary, K.N. Srivastava on Wednesday.
The runway, 4,430-metres long and 75-metres wide, can handle wide-bodied aircraft like the Airbus 380 or the Antonov 226.
The other decision taken at the meeting is that all arrivals would be handled at runway 28-10 and all departures from the new runway (29-11).
Another decision is that airlines would take into consideration aircraft turn-around time of one hour in place of the present 45 minutes to take care of additional taxiing time involved. They will also file their winter schedule for approval of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), accordingly next month.
DIAL will take adequate measures to prevent any incident of bird-hit particularly in respect of the third runway.
With the commissioning of the third runway, there should be no air congestion at IGI Airport. All the stake-holders viz. DIAL, AAI and airlines would fully cooperate with each other to accomplish it
The Ministry decided that DIAL would ensure that the CAT-3B facilities at the runway are commissioned by November 2008 - well before the advent of fog season. AAI would ensure that the Surface Movement Radar facilities for the 3rd runway are also commissioned by that time. (ANI)
- Third runway at IGI Airport to be operationalised from tomorrow - Sep 24, 2008
- Large aircraft allowed from Patna till Aug 31 - Aug 12, 2012
- Reports of near-misses in Delhi untrue: Airport authority - May 20, 2011
- Air India Dreamliner engine failure during pre-delivery test - Aug 02, 2012
- Safety aspects of Shimla, Kullu airports enhanced - Nov 26, 2011
- Delhi airport's third runway to become operational Thursday - Sep 24, 2008
- No large aircraft from Patna from Aug 16 - Aug 05, 2012
- Third runway at Delhi airport starts operations - Sep 25, 2008
- Now planes can operate from Chandigarh despite fog - Jan 11, 2011
- New taxiway at Mumbai airport - Jul 05, 2012
- First Dreamliner aircraft delivered to Air India in the US - Sep 06, 2012
- BPCL to set up refuelling facility at Shillong airport - Sep 05, 2012
- IIT experts to help cut noise near Delhi Airport - Sep 21, 2011
- New taxiway to cut congestion at Mumbai airport - Sep 27, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: aai, adequate measures, airbus 380, antonov, british airways, civil aviation, congestion, delhi international, departures, directorate general, heathrow, indira gandhi, indira gandhi airport, radar facilities, spokesperson, srivastava, stake holders, stakeholders, turn around time, winter schedule