Third phase of panchayat polls begin in Jammu and KashmirApril 21st, 2011 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 21 (IANS) The third phase of the 16-phased panchayat polls started in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday morning.
Five blocks in the Kashmir Valley and five in the Jammu region are going to elect their representatives for the village bodies in this phase.
As bright sunshine greeted the valley after incessant rains during the past five days, voters — both men and women — came out in large numbers to have their say in the democratic process at the grassroots level. The panchayat polls are being held after a decade.
Voting started at 8 a.m. and would end at 2 p.m.
Long queues of voters were seen in Wayil village of North Kashmir’s Ganderbal district where there is a keen contest for the sarpanch’s post.
Votes would be counted at the polling stations in the presence of the contestants and results declared Thursday itself.
No electronic voting machines are being used for the panchayat polls in Jammu and Kashmir. Instead paper ballots are used for the election.
- Third phase of panchayat polls begins in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011
- Large participation in Kashmir third phase panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Phase 12 of panchayat polls ends in Jammu and Kashmir - May 29, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls see large turnout again - May 04, 2011
- 14th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls ends - Jun 06, 2011
- 13th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls ends - Jun 02, 2011
- Nomination process begins for Kashmir panchayat polls - Mar 23, 2011
- Sluggish voting in 11th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls - May 25, 2011
- Kashmir holds peaceful panchayat polls - May 16, 2011
- Massive turnout in Jammu and Kashmir local polls (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls begin Wednesday - Apr 13, 2011
- Kashmir holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 17, 2011
- Kashmir Congress elated as panchayat candidates win - May 18, 2011
- Panchayat polls began in Kashmir - Apr 13, 2011
- Panchayat polls begin in Kashmir - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: bright sunshine, decade, electronic voting machines, grassroots level, incessant rains, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, kashmir valley, large numbers, men and women, north kashmir, paper ballots, polling stations, polls, presence, queues, srinagar, thursday morning