Thick fog disrupts normal life in KolkataJanuary 15th, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Jan 15 (ANI): Thick fog disrupted normal life and delayed air and rail traffic in Kolkata.
General visibility at the city airport dropped to low impermissible levels resulting in rescheduling of many flights.
Altogether 47 domestic flights could not take off while 13 flights could not land as the visibility dropped to almost zero around midnight due to fog at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport.
Many trains were also running late from their schedule timings due to the fog.
Residents, who were out for a morning walk, said that visibility was extremely poor and they could not see a person even within the walking distance.
“Due to fog, we cannot even walk. All the planes are being cancelled, even trains are being cancelled or being late running. Passengers are suffering a lot,” said Gopinatah Roy, a resident.
Vehicular movement on the city roads was less and the commuters drove at snail’’s pace to avoid accidents.
Rana Dutta, another resident added, office goers and school children are facing problems.
According to media reports, a Pakistan International Airways (PIA) flight had to make an unscheduled landing at the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport due to dense fog in Dhaka. (ANI)
- Dense fog disrupts flights, trains in Kolkata - Jan 14, 2011
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Fog, chilly winds envelop capital, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog grips Delhi; air, rail traffic hit (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog disrupts flight operations at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Poor visibility disrupts flights at Kolkata airport - Mar 02, 2010
- Fog, chilly winds envelop capital, over 200 flights disrupted (Third Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Strike brings life to a halt in West Bengal - Apr 27, 2010
- Dense fog hits hard Delhi, north India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010
- Thick fog in Delhi hits flights, trains services (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Fog affects 47 trains (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Trains, flights disrupted as fog blinds Delhi (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Thick fog envelops chilly Delhi, commuters hit - Jan 18, 2012
- Two injured in West Bengal as clashes mar strike (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Fog hits Delhi, disrupts flights, trains (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: accidents, city roads, commuters, dense fog, domestic flights, goers, kolkata, netaji subhas chandra bose, netaji subhash chandra bose, pace, pakistan international, pia, planes, rail traffic, rescheduling, thick fog, trains, visibility, walking distance