The three thugs that rued trying to rob Karate Grandpa!November 13th, 2008 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
New York, November 13 (ANI): A 57-year-old Bronx man, who learnt karate as a teen, actually used his fight skills to defend himself when three persons tried to rob him.
Diogenes Angeles really turned the tables on the three robbers, said police.
The incident occurred when Angeles was walking to a pharmacy near his home in Morrisania about noon.
The grandfather of six said that Eugene Sanchez, 19, Rakeem Johnson, 23, and Jason Lopez, 25, might have thought him to be an easy target.
“They see that I am kind of old and figured they can just come and rob me,” the New York Daily News quoted the grandfather of six as saying.
The three thieves first taunted, and then tried to attack the old man.
Angeles, who studied karate at the age of 14, punched one of them, scaring the hell out of his partners.
“Once they saw I could defend myself, they ran away. I hope they learn from this and don”t attack other people,” Angeles, a retired sign painter, said in Spanish.
The cowardly robbers were later arrested, who were all Bronx residents.
The three men have been charged with robbery, criminal possession of stolen property, and resisting arrest.
One of them has also been charged with assaulting a police officer, as he bit a cop on the hand.
Angeles revealed that he practised karate every day because he knew they would someday come in handy.
“We live in a city where you leave your house and you don”t know what’’s going to happen. You need to be able to defend yourself,” he said. (ANI)
- Woman Robber's Vanity Plate On Getaway Car Gives Her Away - Nov 16, 2010
- Is Kate Upton dating Mark Sanchez? - Feb 15, 2012
- He sealed robbery with a kiss - Jun 19, 2012
- Gang Suspects Arraigned In NYC For Hate Crimes - Oct 11, 2010
- Man robbed at Noida mall, two hurt in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Jessica Sanchez gives hometown performance - May 15, 2012
- Mark Sanchez dated 17 year old girl Eliza Kruger? - Feb 10, 2011
- J. Lo body double used in Fiat ad - Nov 23, 2011
- Friday is the most popular day for bank robberies - Apr 07, 2011
- Robbery takes places at ancient Olympia Museum - Feb 17, 2012
- Germany's dumbest bank robber (Osnabruck resident) jailed for 7 years - Dec 02, 2011
- Robber 'Mummy' with a hatchet sought in gas station robbery - Feb 23, 2011
- Emma Watson bullied at Brown University - Apr 22, 2011
- I didn't know my 'enormous' boobs would come in handy someday: Katy Perry - Feb 09, 2011
- 17-year-old Eliza Kruger dating Mark Sanchez - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: assaulting a police officer, cop, criminal possession, easy target, grandpa, hell, karate, morrisania, new york daily news, old man, possession of stolen property, rakeem johnson, resisting arrest, robbers, robbery, sign painter, three men, three persons, three thieves, york daily news