The latest weapon against alcohol milk cartons with booze safety tips!October 19th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 19 (ANI): Millions of milk cartons are to carry booze safety tips for the first time as part of the fight to cut down Scotlands high level of alcohol intake.
Asda is to print alcohol warnings on more than three million milk cartons in Scotland during the Christmas and Hogmanay party season to get the safety message into homes, schools, offices and other workplaces where it would not normally be seen.
The messages on the milk cartons will urge drinkers to drink alcohol responsibly and know their limit while trying to ensure that nights out in bars and clubs and at parties end safely.
The idea is part of the campaign by supermarkets to show they are acting responsibly in the wake of criticism that they are adding to the country’’s binge-drinking problem by selling cheap alcohol.
The Scottish Government has put forward proposals for minimum prices, banning under 21s from buying alcohol and setting up alcohol-only check-outs.
However, supermarket bosses have argued that education rather than restrictions is a better way of controlling excessive drinking.
“Our argument is that the vast majority of our customers do act responsibly in terms of alcohol consumption and so why should they pay more and why should they have to queue twice, the Scotsman quoted an Asda spokesman, as saying.
“We think it is better to educate people about responsible drinking. Milk is a great product to get this type of information to people as 99 percent of homes have a carton in their fridge and will be tempted to read it over a bowl of cereal or a cup a tea,” he added. (ANI)
- Binge drinking leads to brain damage - Jun 28, 2011
- Alcohol-flavoured fudge 'will entice kids' - Nov 21, 2010
- Brit girls as young as 11 are binge drinking as much as boys - Jan 29, 2011
- Booze now cheaper than water in Kiwiland! - Oct 15, 2010
- Britain's problem drinkers are middle-aged professionals - Mar 09, 2012
- Binge drinking linked to coronary heart disease - Dec 03, 2010
- Drinking will kill 210,000 in next 20 years: Experts - Feb 20, 2012
- Britain's women soldiers told to drink responsibly - Jan 13, 2011
- Teen binge drinkers at risk of future bone fractures - Jul 13, 2010
- Weekend drinking is more lethal than daily downing - Jan 18, 2011
- Hamilton joins campaign against Scot Government crackdown on alcohol - Jan 25, 2009
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- Alcohol 'can make you happy or sad depending on your genetic make-up' - Apr 05, 2011
- Jamie Oliver says UK's "idiot" binge-drinkers should be fined - Apr 10, 2010
- Binge drinking 'ups future depression risk in teens' - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: 21s, alcohol consumption, alcohol intake, alcohol warnings, asda, binge drinking, booze, carton, cereal, cheap alcohol, excessive drinking, forward proposals, hogmanay, milk cartons, responsible drinking, safety message, safety tips, scotsman, scottish government, workplaces