The 1940s guide for making female workers more efficientMay 16th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by admin
London, May 16 (ANI): They are known for gossiping in the office and spend a lot of time in the loo, but when it comes to getting work from the female employees, a lot has to be kept in mind.
The Sun has come up with a 1943 magazine article, Eleven Tips On Getting More Efficiency Out Of Women Employees, offering advice to male bosses forced to hire females during wartime staff shortages.
The advices are:
1. Pick young, married women. They are more responsible, less flirtatious, need the work and still have the pep and interest to work hard and deal with the public efficiently.
2. Where you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home. Women who have never contacted the public are inclined to be fussy and cantankerous. Its always well to impress upon them the importance of friendliness and courtesy.
3. Experience indicates that husky girls just a little on the heavy side are more even-tempered and efficient.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination, covering female conditions. This protects against lawsuits and reveals any weaknesses that would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules.
6. Give the female employee a daylong schedule of duties so she will keep busy without bothering the management. Women are excellent workers when jobs are cut out for them. But they lack initiative.
7. Let her change from one job to another during the day. Women are less nervous with change.
8. Give every girl enough rest periods during the day. She is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands.
9. Never ridicule a woman it breaks her spirit.
10. Be reasonably considerate about strong language. Even though a girls husband or father may swear, shell dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operators uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point cant be stressed too much in keeping women happy. (ANI)
Tags: 1940s, advices, friendliness, home women, inroads, lawsuits, lipstick, little on the heavy side, loo, magazine article, male bosses, management women, married women, offering advice, older women, pep, physical examination, place of business, rest periods, staff shortages