Thai devotees offer special prayers in Bodh GayaDecember 1st, 2007 - 9:27 pm ICT by admin
Bodh Gaya, Dec 1 (ANI): Buddhist devotees from Thailand offered special prayers for peace at Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya in Bihar.
In the footsteps of Lord Buddha, the 77-member delegation began a colourful march from Kushagras temple situated at the eastern bank of the river Niranjana and concluding at the Mahabodhi temple on Friday.
The Thai pilgrims belonging to Pysodyan Foundation, a religious organisation in Thailand, wore traditional attire, with men dressed like kings and women like princesses.
“We are representatives of Pysodyan foundation. We are doing procession in order to worship Lord Buddha. Now, we are so happy and delightful…He is an inspiration for our lives all time,” said Trena Pang, a Thai devotee.
Thai devotees also offered such prayers at other Buddhist pilgrim centres before rounding off their 12-day tour in the holy town of Bodh Gaya.
“With this march and traditional attire, they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Gautam Buddha. Gods and goddesses showered flowers from the sky when he attained enlightenment. The march is a symbolic obeisance to Lord Buddha,” said Akhilesh Kumar Singh, a tour operator.
Lord Buddha attained enlightenment while doing penance under the Bodhi tree near the temple here.
Lord Buddha, founder of Buddhism, was born a prince at Lumbini in Nepal over 2,600 years ago. (ANI)
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
Tags: akhilesh kumar, attained enlightenment, bodh gaya, bodhi tree, buddhist, devotees, footsteps, founder of buddhism, gautam buddha, happy and delightful, lord buddha, lumbini, mahabodhi temple, member delegation, obeisance, pilgrim centres, prayers, Thailand, traditional attire