Terror strike toll rises to over 100, injured toll 110; encounters still onNovember 27th, 2008 - 11:37 am ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Nov.27 (ANI): Over a hundred people have been killed in a series of well-coordinated terrorist attacks in Mumbai late on Wednesday night.
Television and print media reports said that the planned and synchronised terror strikes had left at least 110 people injured, some of who were in serious condition in the city’’s various hospitals. The places attacked included the Trident Hotel, the Taj Hotel, Wadi Bunder, Cama hospital, GT Hospital, Victoria Terminus station, Bootleggers pub, Girgaum and Metro cinema.
Mahrashtra Government and police authorities said that firefights and encounters were still going on almost 14 hours after the attacks, and added that so far nine terrorists have been captured, five have been killed and three have escaped. Two five star hotels — The Taj Intercontinental and The Trident (formerly The Oberoi) were under seige, as most of the attackers were holed up in them with several hostages, they said. Areas around the two hotels have been cordoned off, they said.
So far, 100 people have been rescued, they added.
The State authorities said that the terrorists came in by boats, struck at 10 places in south Mumbai including five-star hotels, hospitals and train stations.
They described the hostage situation at the two hotels as desperate, adding that at least 100 people are trapped inside.
According to latest reports, policemen have succeeded in flushing out terrorists from the Cama Hospital.
At least 12 policemen have been killed across the city, including the head of the Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad Hemant Karkare, who was shot three times in the chest.
Well-known encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar is also dead. Additional Commissioner of Police Sadanand Date is critical. Every top line anti-terror force in the country has been pushed into Mumbai including commandos of the National Security Guard, Marine Commandos and Army commandos.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said: “Encounter is on between police and terrorists at Taj and Trident. Our people have surrounded them and the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) team has arrived at the Taj hotel.”
“Gunmen took 15 hostages and half of them foreigners,” said an eye-witness at Taj hotel. Another eyewitness said that the gunmen wanted anyone with British or American passports.
There are also reports of low intensity blast in Ville Parle and grenade attack in Santa Cruz. Two blasts have been reported in Napean Sea road area of south Mumbai.
Police sources are investigating a boat, which anchored off Mumbai harbour. It all started with incidents of firing in Colaba and near CST station. One policeman was injured in the firing. (ANI)
Tags: army commandos, bootleggers, commissioner of police, deshmukh, five star hotels, hostage situation, metro cinema, mumbai terror attack, police authorities, seige, several hostages, south mumbai, state authorities, taj hotel, terror squad, terror strikes, train stations, trident hotel, victoria terminus station, wadi bunder, wednesday night television