Tension along India-Bangladesh border over barbed wire fencing.May 23rd, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by ANI
Tripura, May 23 (ANI): Tension prevailed along the India-Bangladesh border on the outskirts of Akhwara region, in Tripura, over the construction of a barbed wire fencing by the Border Security Force (BSF).
The villagers are concerned as the newly constructed barbed wire fence will block free access to the graveyard, which would now fall on the other side of the fence.
The Bangladesh Rifles (BDR), the border guard of Bangladesh, has raised objection to the move of BSF saying that the treaty signed between the two nations prohibits construction of the fence within 150 yards from the border pillar on both sides.
A mass protest against the BSF move and people demanded free access to their burial land.
The local councilor gave assurances to the villagers that their grievances would be addressed with utmost priority. “It (Graveyard) will not be covered by the fencing. BSF will not erect fencing just in front of the graveyard. They will be able to use the graveyard freely,” said Ratan Das, local councilor.
Villegers complained that the BSF constructed the fence at night and did not consult them. They now allege that their life is under threat as the forces may fire at them.
Amina Khatun, a local protester said, “BDR (Bangladesh Rifles) as well as BSF had taken gun positions against each other. BSF instructed us to move away with our children as there may be firing at any moment. We are not against fencing but we want the access to burial ground.”
A meeting at company commander level on Akhaura border has been organized by BSF and BDR to prevent further deterioration of the situation.
Tension prevails in the area and the villagers on both sides of the border are reported to be moving to safer places.(ANI)
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- Tripura locals affected by fencing vow to intensify stir - Feb 12, 2011
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Tripura villagers affected by border fencing to step up stir - May 12, 2011
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- River erosion upsets BSF at India-Bangladesh border - May 08, 2012
- Tension on border after firing by Bangladesh Rifles (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Some Bangladeshi border guards attempting land grab: BSF - Mar 15, 2010
- Bangladesh relaxes norms for India to erect border fence - Apr 08, 2011
- Strengten border security: Mizoram, Tripura governors - Oct 31, 2011
- India, Bangladesh security forces trade fire in Meghalaya - Mar 14, 2010
- Tripura offers land, housing to poor families - Jul 05, 2012
- Northeast chief ministers urge stricter vigil along borders - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: assurances, bangladesh rifles, barbed wire fence, barbed wire fencing, border guard, border security force, burial ground, company commander, deterioration, graveyard, grievances, gun positions, local councilor, mass protest, outskirts, pillar, protester, ratan, side of the fence, utmost priority