Tendulkar returns to top 20 batsmen in Reliance-ICC Test player rankingsOctober 22nd, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Oct.22 (ANI): India great Sachin Tendulkar has proved again that he still has what it takes to make an impact at the highest level.
Before the second Test against Australia, he had slipped to 24th place in the Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings for Test batsmen, his lowest position for 15 years.
But the 35-year-old has broken back into the top 20 batsmen and now sits in 19th position after scoring 88 and 10 not out in the Mohali Test against Australia.
Tendulkar now has Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman in his sights as both have lost ground in the latest rankings.
Australia left-hander Michael Hussey has slipped from the number-one perch to third position. West Indian Shivnarine Chanderpaul takes his place, while Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka moves up to the second spot.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting has dropped one place to fifth after scoring just seven runs in the match while Virender Sehwag (up one place to 10th) and Michael Clarke (up two places to 13th) enjoyed more success in the top 20.
The other big movers include Gautam Gambhir, who moves up eight positions to 29th place after innings of 67 and 104, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who progresses seven places to 37th, and Sourav Ganguly, whose century in the first innings gave him a two-place boost to 23rd on the list.
New Zealands Daniel Vettori in the first Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong has netted him the 31st spot in the latest batting rankings.
Indias Harbhajan Singh with a match haul of 49-12-96-5 in the Mohali Test is back into the top 10 Test bowlers. He is now Indias top-ranked bowler, taking over from Zaheer Khan who slips one place to 12th spot.
Australian Mitchell Johnson is 30th in the list, while Ishant Sharma is in 31st position.
Twenty-five-year-old leg-spinner Amit Mishra is a new entry at number 50 after taking seven wickets for 106 runs in a dream debut against Australia.
Vettori now sits in 14th position in the bowling ladder, up seven places in the latest rankings. (ANI)
- Ojha breaks into top-15 of ICC Test rankings, India remain second - Nov 27, 2011
- Tendulkar rises to fourth in Test rankings, Siddle in top 10 - Dec 30, 2011
- Tendulkar moves to second spot in Test rankings - Dec 21, 2010
- Younus Khan jumps 11 places in ICC rankings (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Tendulkar climbs to third spot in ICC rankings - Oct 06, 2010
- Ashwin achieves career-best ranking, Sachin out of top 10 - Aug 27, 2012
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
- Cook climbs to career-best third spot in Test rankings - Aug 14, 2011
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
- Dravid breaks into top-10 of ICC rankings - Nov 18, 2011
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- India stay at top of Test rankings, but lose points - Jul 11, 2011
- Sachin and Kallis share top spot in Test rankings - Jun 10, 2011
- Dravid rises in ICC rankings, Tendulkar drops to 4th - Jul 26, 2011
- Siddle, Trott jump up in ICC Test rankings after successful Ashes campaign - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: australian captain, captain ricky ponting, daniel vettori, dravid, dream debut, gambhir, harbhajan singh, laxman, mahendra singh dhoni, michael hussey, mitchell johnson, new zealands, reliance mobile, sachin tendulkar, sangakkara, seven wickets, shivnarine chanderpaul, sourav ganguly, test player, zaheer khan