Ten more handloom clusters sanctioned for Jammu and KashmirJuly 11th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , July 11 (ANI): Textiles Minister Shankersinh Vaghela today said that the Government is working to promote the activities of Handicrafts and Handloom Exports Corporation of India Ltd. (HHEC) and has sanctioned ten more clusters of handlooms for Jammu and Kashmir .
Addressing the Parliamentary Consultative Committee meeting, Vaghela said that the HHEC is running a number of activities to provide support to artisans and weavers for the upgradation of their skills, design inputs, training and marketing their products.
More than ten thousand weavers are getting direct and indirect employment through the activities of HHEC. The Corporation has 21 procurement centers all over the country to help and provide technical support to the grass root weavers.
Reiterating the Governments commitment for marketing support to the artisans, the Minister said that the Central Cottage Industries Corporation (CCIC) does procurement and sales of quality handicrafts and handloom products not only for the domestic market but also for abroad.
It has also opened showrooms to showcase traditional art culture. He said the CCIC always lays emphasis in supporting artisan and has made efforts to eliminate middlemen in the process of marketing of handlooms.
Briefing the members about the National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (NHHM), also known as Crafts Museum at Delhi , he said that the Museum has a collection of over 32,000 artifacts consisting of metal icon, lamps, incense burners and ritual accessories.
The Library of the Museum has more than 20,000 reference books and other periodicals. (ANI)
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- CWG medal winners being gifted angavastrams instead of flowers - Oct 08, 2010
- Event to promote handicraft, handloom sector - Aug 17, 2012
- Himachal reviving Chamba art forms - Oct 30, 2011
- Shahtoosh: Can the prized industry be revived again? - Apr 09, 2012
- Manipur hosts fair promoting rural handicrafts and handlooms - Dec 10, 2009
- Artisans at craft museum awaiting Michelle Obama's visit - Nov 04, 2010
- Govt. is committed to help weavers to meet challenges of globalisation: Vaghela - Feb 17, 2009
- Weavers' woes: Government packages pass them by (Feature) (with images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Indian handicrafts get contemporary twist - Jul 20, 2011
- Nagaland aiming to reach out to bigger markets through handloom sector - Dec 02, 2010
- Jharkhand's thriving Silk industry, helps adivasis (Part-II) - Dec 04, 2010
- Himachal to set up 'Grameen Haats' to help artisans - Nov 29, 2010
- Ten-day Tripura crafts exhibition gives boost to entrepreneurs, artisans - Jan 21, 2011
- Bastar art goes global, but artisans struggle to survive (Feature with image) - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: ccic, committee meeting, consultative committee, crafts museum, grass root, handloom products, handlooms, hhec, incense burners, india ltd, indirect employment, jammu and kashmir, metal icon, middlemen, national handicrafts, procurement centers, quality handicrafts, showrooms, upgradation, weavers