Ten-day Tripura crafts exhibition gives boost to entrepreneurs, artisansJanuary 21st, 2011 - 7:02 pm ICT by ANI
Agartala (Tripura), Jan.21 (ANI): The sixth SARAS exhibition and fair was held here recently for entrepreneurs and artisans.
SARAS, or Sale of Articles of Rural Artisans Societies is an initiative of the ministry of Rural Development that came into being in 1980. It aims to remove middlemen who act as the go between a craftsperson and a local buyer and ensure greater profits for artisans.
This year’s event was organized with the aim of helping beneficiaries of the Special Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojna, rural artisans, craft persons; self-help groups and NGOs from all over the country.
Over 350 artisans and craftsmen from ten different states exhibited their impressive range of wares at the fair.
Manju Rani Karmakar, a self-help group member, said: “We have formed a SHG group consisting of ten women. We produce different iron products. While someone makes cleavers, someone else makes spoons or frying pans. We are displaying them at this fair and we are doing well.”
Mohammad Irfan, another self-help-group member from Uttar Pradesh, said: “The fair gives us a good opportunity to make some money.”
The Ministry of State Rural Development and District Rural Development Agency at the Children’s Park in Agartala jointly organized the fair.
It provided a unique opportunity for the people of the area to sample the crafts, handlooms and handmade products from other parts of the country.
Mousumi, a visitor, said: “When such fairs are held in Agartala, then we get a lot of variety at the same place, and moreover, the price is also quite reasonable.”
Tapas Mukherjee, a visitor at the event, said: “Such fairs should be held regularly as they help the self-help-groups to increase self-employment and boost handicrafts. We need more entrepreneurs as there is a lot of unemployment and such fairs can help to some extent.” (ANI)
- Nagaland aiming to reach out to bigger markets through handloom sector - Dec 02, 2010
- North East craft persons showcase their work at IITF 2010 - Dec 04, 2010
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- US forges connect with India through green crafts - Apr 21, 2012
- Fair dedicated to women in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal - Apr 04, 2012
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Indian lessons for Kenyan bead weavers (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- Indian handicrafts get contemporary twist - Jul 20, 2011
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Self-help groups empower Jharkhand rural women - Mar 19, 2009
- Manipur hosts fair promoting rural handicrafts and handlooms - Dec 10, 2009
Tags: artisans, craft persons, frying pans, group member, handicrafts, handlooms, handmade products, impressive range, iron products, jan 21, middlemen, ministry of rural development, rani, rural development agency, s park, saras, self employment, self help groups, state rural development, wares