Ten day harvest festival ”Onam” concludesSeptember 12th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by ANI
Kochi , Sept 12 (ANI): The ten day long harvest festival ”Onam” concluded with gaiety in Kerala on Friday.
The festival that began on Tuesday saw the religious fervor of the people soaring high as the thousands of people celebrated the festival with gaiety.
The festival is celebrated after harvesting of the principle crop and filling the granaries to full, a sure sign of prosperity. It began with ”Atham”, the 17th day of the Malayalam month ”Chingam” this year and the main day of the festival is called ”Thiruvonam” on which people celebrate the day with a grand feast.
We are expecting around 7000-8000 persons to attend the feast hosted by us. Very good feast we are hosting, said Pankajakshan Pillai, President, Thrikakkara Temple Advisory Committee.
Elephants are a part of most of the celebrations in Kerala and spectacular parades and processions of caparisoned elephants, fireworks and traditional art forms are associated with Onam as it is with other festivals.
In olden days the festivities used to begin 28 days earlier but the fast paced life and lack of time has reduced it to ten days.
During the ten days, people make floral decorations outside their homes, buy new clothes and present gifts to friends and relatives.
Onam festivities are a commemoration of the visit of mythical king Mahabali to see his former subjects in his kingdom now known as Kerala.
Keralites spend their year’’s savings to welcome the benevolent king on Thiruvonam that is the tenth day of the festival. (ANI)
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- People celebrate Onam across Kerala - Aug 23, 2010
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- President greets nation ahead of Onam - Sep 01, 2009
- Delhi welcomes Onam with Pookalam - Sep 04, 2011
- Special feast for monkeys on Onam in Kerala - Sep 12, 2008
- Onam spread of spicy dishes goes online - Aug 20, 2010
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- Kerala readies for Thrissur Pooram festival - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: 28 days, art forms, commemoration, elephants, fast paced life, festivities, floral decorations, gaiety, granaries, grand feast, harvest festival, kerala, kochi, lack of time, mythical king, olden days, onam, parades, present gifts, religious fervor