Tatas small car project to pull out of Singur

October 3rd, 2008 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI  

Kolkata, Oct 3 (ANI): Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata has decided to pull-out Nano small car project out of Singur.

Ratan Tata announced the decision to the media after discussion with the Chief Minister here today. He said he had to take the decision considering the situation on the ground.

Following Trinamool Congress (TMC) sit-in protest at the plant site in Singur, Tata Motors suspended operations at the Nano factory on September 2.

Earlier, Bhattacharjee had written to Ratan Tata requesting him to restart work at the Nano plant at Singur.

The Chief Minister in his letter had promised to extend all possible help and cooperation, including security at the plant.

Tatas reply to the Chief Ministers letter and his coming down to Kolkata had raised hopes both here and in Singur.

On the eve of this crucial meeting, Bhattacharjee had a talk with all members of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) CPM State Secretariat at Alimuddin Street to find ways to address Tatas worries, especially his concern regarding the safety and security of his employees.

On Thursday, West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi said that the State deserved a solution to the Singur impasse.
Trouble began after the West Bengal Government acquired 1000 acres of farmland for the Tata Motors” small car plant at Singur last year. The State Government offered compensation, which some farmers rejected.
Mamata then took up the fight of the farmers, demanding that at least 400 acres of the acquired land be returned to farmers. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe