Tata’’s Nano, one man’’s gain, another’’s lossMarch 21st, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
Sanand (Gujarat)/Singur, Mar 21 (ANI): As Tata Motors is all set to launch Nano, the world’’s cheapest car, on Monday, residents in Sanand, where Tata’’s new Nano plant is being set up, are upbeat at the prospects.
Residents were excited, looking forward to the jobs it would create.
“The direct benefit of the project is the employment that it will create, but there are several indirect benefits. It will create opportunities for the transport business, hotel industry and all other small businesses will get a fillip,” said Ravubha Vaghela, a businessman.
But there were others for whom the wait seemed to be getting longer.
“The project has definitely put Sanand on the world map, but I don”t think the workers and farmers will be much benefited out of it,” said Bahadurbhai, another resident.
Back in Singur, the mood is sombre despite the fact that the opponents of the project achieved their goal by driving out the Tata Motors project.
“It is shocking and very sad. So many boys and girls took training and were dreaming of jobs. There were proposals for huge development. Singur residents have been deprived of all that,” said Srikanto Chatterjee, a resident.
Tata Motors Ltd moved in its ultra low-cost Nano car to Sanand in Gujarat following violent protests at Singur in West Bengal.
The plant to be built at Sanand, near Ahmedabad, is located on about 1,100 acres, and will have an initial capacity of 250,000 units, which can be expanded to up to 500,000 cars per year. (ANI)
- Nano's Sanand plant goes on stream (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Tata Nano plant in Gujarat inaugurated - Jun 02, 2010
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- First Nano from Gujarat unit rolls out Wednesday - Jun 02, 2010
- Kolkata to have new financial hub in Rajarhat - Oct 06, 2010
- Mamata's Singur proposal draws mixed reactions - Feb 24, 2010
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Maruti plans 10 lakh capacity plant in Gujarat - May 31, 2011
- Nepal to test-drive Nano next month - Jun 25, 2010
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, boys and girls, business hotel, businessman, farmers, fillip, gujarat, hotel industry, indirect benefits, initial capacity, new nano, opponents, prospects, singur, small businesses, tata motors ltd, transport business, violent protests, west bengal, world map