TATA’s Land Rover seeks 781 m pounds in UK Govt. loansApril 3rd, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr. 3 (ANI): Tata, the Indian owners of Jaguar Land Rover, are seeking 781 million pounds in Government and European loans to safeguard the company’s future.
Jaguar Land Rover is one of a number of companies looking to tap into the 2.3 billion pounds aid package promised by Lord Mandelson.A spokesman insisted that it was seeking loans, which would be repaid, to fund the next generation of environmentally more friendly cars.
Beleaguered car manufacturers, who have been battered by the dramatic slump in demand in the latter half of last year, say action has to be taken to safeguard the 800,000 jobs supported by the industry.
They are also pushing for a scrappage scheme, which would see the owners of cars more than nine years old receiving a 2, 000 pound grant towards the purchase of a new replacement, The Telegraph reports.
In the case of Jaguar Land Rover, it means maintaining production at Halewood in Merseyside as well as Solihull and Castle Bromwich in the West Midlands. (ANI)
- British MP demands to meet Ratan Tata over 'bad judgement' - Sep 27, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover to close British plant; no compulsory redundancies - Sep 24, 2009
- Worker dies at Jaguar Land Rover factory - Sep 27, 2011
- Workers at TATA-owned Jaguar vote for a pay freeze - Mar 06, 2009
- Indian outsourcing to figure at British 'summit' on Jaguar Land Rover - Nov 03, 2009
- China to buy 13,000 Jaguars as part of new MoU - Feb 28, 2009
- Tata warned to accept revised Jaguar Land Rover deal - Jul 19, 2009
- Britain urges Tata to respond to offer on Jaguar Land Rover - Jul 21, 2009
- TATA-owned Land Rover offered 27 million pounds to produce ''Green Car'' - Mar 12, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover to hit Indian roads in June (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Tata announces - Jun 20, 2008
- Jaguar Land Rover to axe 450 employees - Jan 14, 2009
- Deal to save jobs at TATA-owned Jaguar on anvil - Feb 25, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover opens first plant in India - May 27, 2011
- Tata's Jaguar Land Rover plant to close for a week - Sep 26, 2008
Tags: car manufacturers, cars, castle bromwich, halewood, jaguar, jobs, land rover, loans, london, mandelson, merseyside, next generation, nine years, scrappage scheme, slump, solihull, spokesman, tata, telegraph reports, uk govt