Taser shot cures mans irregular heartbeatMay 28th, 2008 - 4:48 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, May 28 (ANI): A hospitalised man who had developed an irregular heartbeat reverted to a normal rhythm after being shot with a Taser gun, according to a medical report.
The 28-year-old man had been pursued by police in Connecticut and had tried to evade them by spending up to 40 minutes in a frosty lake.
The police eventually took him into custody and transported him to Hartford Hospital, where doctors saw that his body temperature had dropped to 89deg Fahrenheit and that his pulse was racing up to 150 beats per minute.
“I don’t know exactly what he had done but he fled capture from them and he hid in a lake,” News.com.au quoted Dr Kyle Richards, a cardiologist at Hartford Hospital in Connecticut, as saying.
After treatment, the patient was eager to leave and became aggressive.
“He got very combative and started yelling in my face and that’s when I left the room and got security,” Dr Richards said.
To calm down the man, police and security used a Taser stun gun, which shoots out a lead connected to two barbs that can deliver up to 50,000 volts.
Once shot, the patient calmed down and another electrocardiogram showed his heart rhythm was normal.
Dr Richards and others said the incident was evidence that the stun guns may affect the heart, as critics allege.
“This is the first report of a patient receiving a shock of this kind and having a positive outcome,” he said.
Dr Richards said studies done in pigs show the weapon can affect the heart muscle.
“People can spontaneously go from atrial fibrillation into a normal rhythm without any intervention at all. You cannot conclusively say that the Taser did it,” he said. (ANI)
- Now, a technique to regularise abnormal heartbeats - Sep 09, 2012
- Diabetes linked to irregular heartbeat - Apr 23, 2010
- Healthy lifestyles could halve cases of atrial fibrillation - Mar 29, 2011
- Arthritis invites higher risk of heart attacks - Mar 09, 2012
- Stun guns disguised as phones flood Britain - Feb 12, 2012
- Yoga reduces irregular heartbeat and anxiety - Apr 04, 2011
- Bodybuilder dies of taser gun bolt! - Aug 18, 2011
- Florida man dies after Taser shock by police at Universal Studios - Apr 23, 2011
- Alcohol can trigger dangerous palpitations - Jun 04, 2012
- Measuring oxidative stress may help predict atrial fibrillation risk - Apr 05, 2011
- Are erratic heartbeats tied to unexplained strokes? - Feb 03, 2012
- Irregular heart beat plus stroke may increase dementia risk - Mar 08, 2011
- Moderate-to-heavy alcohol intake may increase risk of abnormal heart rhythm - Feb 15, 2011
- Police officers to protect the Royals with taser stun guns - Feb 06, 2011
- Patients with irregular heartbeat 44pct more likely to develop Alzheimer's - May 16, 2009
Tags: barbs, beats per minute, body temperature, cardiologist, dr richards, electrocardiogram, fibrillation, frosty lake, hartford hospital, heart muscle, heart rhythm, irregular heartbeat, kyle richards, lake news, man police, medical report, news com au, stun guns, taser gun, taser stun gun