Tamil Nadu’s VCK asks Sonia Gandhi to press for Lanka cease-fireApril 8th, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr 8 (ANI): In the wake of reports of the Sri Lankan army capturing the last stronghold of the LTTE in Sri Lanka, the pro-Eelam Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) on Wednesday appealed to Congress President Sonia Gandhi to press for a ceasefire in the island-nation.
Addressing a press conference in Chennai, VCK leader Thol Thirumavalavan said, “Sonia Gandhi should deal with the situation from a humanitarian point of view…she is the last hope of the Sri Lankan Tamils and has the power to press for a ceasefire with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse.”
The VCK is part of the Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK)-Congress alliance in the coming elections.
DMK president and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi had on Tuesday made a similar appeal to Sonia Gandhi, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram.
“Save the total Tamil race in Sri Lanka from being completely wiped out - ensure ceasefire and initiate peace talks immediately,” he said in the telegram, a copy of which was released to the media last night.
Karunanidhi also announced he would lead a “Tamils rally” in Chennai on Thursday to express solidarity with Lankan Tamils and urged all political parties to join it. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu delegation leaves for Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu MPs to leave for Sri Lanka today - Oct 10, 2009
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- Regional Tamil party stages protest against Lankan Government in Chennai - Oct 22, 2009
- Tell Colombo to halt fighting: Karunanidhi urges centre - Apr 21, 2009
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Tamil activists demand speedy resettlement of refugees in Sri Lanka - Dec 14, 2009
- DMK allots 10 seats to VCK - Mar 01, 2011
- PMK to join DMK-Congress combine for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 30, 2011
- Dalit Panthers block trains in Chennai protesting against killings in Sri Lanka - Oct 23, 2008
Tags: cease fire, congress alliance, congress president sonia gandhi, dravida, eelam, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, island nation, last hope, m karunanidhi, mahinda rajapakse, peace talks, pranab mukherjee, similar appeal, sri lankan army, sri lankan president, sri lankan tamils, tamil nadu, union home minister, vck